Last Movie Watched

Movies, books, television, sports, and games.
Jjm3233

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Jjm3233 »

The Predator - C+
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Jjm3233 wrote: January 12th, 2019, 8:01 pmThe Predator - C+
I keep wanting to rent something and that's been maybe the top contender, but based on reviews (critics and general moviegoers), I haven't been that jazzed about seeing it. Guess I'll continue to put it off.

My last was "Replicas", the Keanu Reeves sci-fi movie in which he's trying to transfer human consciousness/memories into robots such that the dead can continue to live. It's interesting that this could be seen as a kind of technological Frankenstein, while the movie itself feels like Frankenstein's monster in that it feels like different movies cobbled together (especially in the climactic third). While Reeves has show the ability to effortlessly slip into a character (both John Wick movies), in "Replicas" his performance is more along the lines of the stilted manner of most of the rest of his filmography. It is interesting in the moral/ethical dilemmas that arise from the main characters decision, but the movie skirts depth in tracking the consequences (and glosses over the myriad of problems inherent in what he tries), deciding to end on an one-dimensional action thriller note.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

I'm trying to remember the last film I watched start-to-finish...

Dang, it's been a while. Might have been...Sleepy Hollow.

Yesterday I saw a bit of CE3K...

I've watched Ghost in the Shell a number of times in the last few months...
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

I watched the end of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country; and the beginning of Winchester. Neither was terribly appealing.
Lord Tesla
toVor

Post by toVor »

Knives Out.
5/5
Bloody brilliant.
I had a feeling this was going to be an America Herceul Peroit-like mystery and I was spot on right.
Fully enjoyable from start to finish. Captivating and funny and very well scripted.

Great film. Great film indeed.

Never mind for now that Rian Johnson wrote a bad SW and ruined that movie for many of us. THIS was a good movie.
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

toVor wrote: January 5th, 2020, 4:41 am Never mind for now that Rian Johnson wrote a bad SW and ruined that movie for many of us. THIS was a good movie.
Yes, I liked "Knives Out" a lot.

Most recent I saw was "Underwater." Boring, derivative stuff. Like an underwater "Alien," sorta, but worse in every way.

Before that, saw "1917". Great. Definitely worth seeing. Yes, set during WWI, but not so much a combat movie, more a harrowing journey movie following 2 characters trying to go from point A to point B to warn an army. Well filmed, well acted, tense.
Jjm3233

Post by Jjm3233 »

1917 - Agree with BorgMatrix, less a combat movie and more a journey movie. Saw it with my 17 year old history buff, we both came out talking about it. Really good movie.

Knives Out - Saw with my wife on the strength of the trailer (and cast), really fun movie.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Not bad but not great. I'm still mad that Trevorrow's and Connelly's draft wasn't further developed and used for IX and with that in mind...

B-
toVor

Post by toVor »

Not to diminish your review or enjoyment of that film, Mags, but I have simply lost all interest in those films. The first Jurassic Park was fantastic, the second one was good, the third one was okay, but I didn't even sit through all of the first Jurassic World film and had no interest in any more.

But then, then are some people who say the same about the SW franchise so to each their own I guess.
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

toVor wrote: February 18th, 2020, 4:17 am Not to diminish your review or enjoyment of that film, Mags, but I have simply lost all interest in those films. The first Jurassic Park was fantastic, the second one was good, the third one was okay, but I didn't even sit through all of the first Jurassic World film and had no interest in any more.

But then, then are some people who say the same about the SW franchise so to each their own I guess.
I agree with you. I liked JW enough, but it was a not as good version of the original JW2 stunk. I mean, I thought it was terrible. So I'm probably done with the franchise for now, too.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

The War of the Worlds, 1953, Paramount Pictures, color, 85 minutes. Directed by Byron Haskins, produced by George Pal, starring Gene Barry and Ann Robinson.

A much better film than I remembered. And a relief from current headlines, although...I was once familiar with some of the locations mentioned early in the film, of which one, Corona, California, sound oddly ominous now in ways it did not before. And the irony of terrestrial pathogens saving humanity was not lost...

Captain Blood, 1935, Warner Bros., B&W, 119 minutes. Directed by Michael Curtiz, starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, etc. I'd never seen the whole thing beginning to end before, so I took a chance on it. A good entertainment. The pacing was a bit languid, but that was the norm in 1935. A welcome escapist relief from the unfolding Bugpocalypse.
Lord Tesla
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Lord Tesla wrote: March 17th, 2020, 11:34 am The War of the Worlds, 1953, Paramount Pictures, color, 85 minutes. Directed by Byron Haskins, produced by George Pal, starring Gene Barry and Ann Robinson.

A much better film than I remembered. And a relief from current headlines, although...I was once familiar with some of the locations mentioned early in the film, of which one, Corona, California, sound oddly ominous now in ways it did not before. And the irony of terrestrial pathogens saving humanity was not lost...

Captain Blood, 1935, Warner Bros., B&W, 119 minutes. Directed by Michael Curtiz, starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, etc. I'd never seen the whole thing beginning to end before, so I took a chance on it. A good entertainment. The pacing was a bit languid, but that was the norm in 1935. A welcome escapist relief from the unfolding Bugpocalypse.
At some point, I've gotta dive more into these older movies.

I had a strange itch, given our Bugpocalypse, to rewatch "Outbreak" or "Contagion." But neither was on Netflix or Amazon Prime, which was probably for the best.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

borgmatrix wrote: March 17th, 2020, 12:45 pm At some point, I've gotta dive more into these older movies.
It can really pay off. And, as I recall, you've yet to see some top notch, even classics, of the '30s - '40s era, and even some of the cool SF films from the '50s.

I've fairly recently watched or rewatched and can recommend The Thing from Another World (Christian Nyby/Howard Hawks 1951 version) Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956, derived in part from Donald Keyhoe's "nonfiction" book, Flying Saucers from Outer Space, with cool stop-motion
work done by Ray Harryhausen), This Island Earth (1955, Universal-International, color, more saucers), and The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951 Robert Wise version, with Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal, not the 2008 better-as-a-coaster Keanu Reeves flop. Gort! Keanu barada toast!).
Yeah, I've been on a saucer kick. One I haven't replayed recently is the really weird 1951 United Artists release, The Man from Planet X, which I can also heartily recommend.
borgmatrix wrote: March 17th, 2020, 12:45 pmI had a strange itch, given our Bugpocalypse, to rewatch "Outbreak" or "Contagion." But neither was on Netflix or Amazon Prime, which was probably for the best.
I think you're probably right. Still, strangely enough, over the last few weeks I've had a yen to re-read Richard Matheson's I Am Legend (which I also give high marks), which is somewhat, I suppose you might say, topical, to say nothing the source material for no less than three film adaptations, the 1964 B&W Vincent Price film The Last Man on Earth, the 1971 Charlton Heston film the Omega Man, and the Will Smith remake of that one, I am Legend. The Price film is the best of the three, closest to the novel, but none of them is better than the original text.
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Universal Studios, 1954, B&W, 79 minutes. Directed by Jack Arnold. Starring Richard Carlson and Julia Adams. Good, clean, creature-feature fun, and Julia Adams in that swimsuit! :w00t: How can you go wrong?
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Dial "M" for Murder, 1954, Warner Bros., Color, 105 minutes. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Starring Grace Kelly, Robert Cummings, Ray Milland and John Williams. Classic. Hitchcock and Kelly? How can you go wrong?

A bit later, Horror of Dracula, broadcast on the Svengoolie program; alas, caught it about half way through, drifted, and took a wee nap. (Film: 1958, Hammer Films, color, 82 minutes. Starring Christopher Lee as Dracula; Peter Cushing as van Helsing.) One of the better adaptations of Stoker's creaky gothic novel.
Lord Tesla
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Lord Tesla wrote: March 20th, 2020, 4:03 pm It can really pay off. And, as I recall, you've yet to see some top notch, even classics, of the '30s - '40s era, and even some of the cool SF films from the '50s.
Yeah, I've leaned more towards "modern" movies, newer stuff.
I think you're probably right. Still, strangely enough, over the last few weeks I've had a yen to re-read Richard Matheson's I Am Legend (which I also give high marks), which is somewhat, I suppose you might say, topical, to say nothing the source material for no less than three film adaptations, the 1964 B&W Vincent Price film The Last Man on Earth, the 1971 Charlton Heston film the Omega Man, and the Will Smith remake of that one, I am Legend. The Price film is the best of the three, closest to the novel, but none of them is better than the original text.
So it turns out I either overlooked that "Outbreak" was indeed on Netflix. Or it was added like a day later or something. So I watched it late last week. It held up. I quite liked it.

Then, sorta had the itch for the zombie remake "The Crazies", but I've seen that several times so I held off.

With my parents and brother over the weekend, did see a 1953 western. "The Marshal of Cedar Rock." Not sure if "movie" is even the right word since it was a little over 50 minutes. But it was entertaining.
Lord Tesla wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am Dial "M" for Murder, 1954, Warner Bros., Color, 105 minutes. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Starring Grace Kelly, Robert Cummings, Ray Milland and John Williams. Classic. Hitchcock and Kelly? How can you go wrong?
Now this one I have seen. Been a while, but I've seen it. :)
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

borgmatrix wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:33 am Yeah, I've leaned more towards "modern" movies, newer stuff.

Well, don't put investigating the older stuff off too long. Time is always in short supply, and there are killer bugs out there--and I am *not* talking about the mutant insects from Them! (Warner Bros., 1954, B&W, 94 minutes, and a good flick.)
borgmatrix wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:33 amSo it turns out I either overlooked that "Outbreak" was indeed on Netflix. Or it was added like a day later or something. So I watched it late last week. It held up. I quite liked it.
I don't think I've ever seen more than a few minutes of that one. Dustin Hoffman, correct? But I have Richard Preston's book. For the moment, I don't think the film would be good for my stress levels.
borgmatrix wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:33 amThen, sorta had the itch for the zombie remake "The Crazies", but I've seen that several times so I held off.
That one I've seen, I'm pretty sure. Not bad.
borgmatrix wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:33 amWith my parents and brother over the weekend, did see a 1953 western. "The Marshal of Cedar Rock." Not sure if "movie" is even the right word since it was a little over 50 minutes. But it was entertaining.
Westerns aren't my favorite genre: this is one I haven't heard of. For me, it pretty much begins and ends with John Ford's The Searchers (Warner Bros., 1956, color, 119 minutes. John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter (later the first captain of U.S.S. Enterprise), Vera Miles and Natalie Wood. But, I'm also fond of some of the Eastwood flicks, The Outlaw Josey Wales and High Plains Drifter spring to mind.

borgmatrix wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:33 am
Lord Tesla wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am Dial "M" for Murder, 1954, Warner Bros., Color, 105 minutes. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Starring Grace Kelly, Robert Cummings, Ray Milland and John Williams. Classic. Hitchcock and Kelly? How can you go wrong?
Now this one I have seen. Been a while, but I've seen it. :)
It has, in my opinion, high rewatchability. (Of course, I hold that all of Hitchcock's works are rewatchable at least to some degree.) I went on a Hitchcock kick a few weeks back and plugged in ones I'd seen (with a few exceptions) at dinner time. The Trouble with Harry, Vertigo, Rear Window, Dial "M" for Murder, Saboteur, Suspicion, Notorious, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Psycho, Rope, Shadow of a Doubt, North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief. Then TCM ran Diam "M" for Murder, and I watched it again.

The last couple of films I've seen were feature length productions from Granada's Sherlock Holmes Series: The Sign of Four (1987), and The Hound of the Baskervilles (1988). These are from later part of the run, when Jeremy Brett had begun to deteriorate, and the series over all suffered, not only from that, but, later, also an escalating departure from the canonical Holmes stories. But they're still good watches, unlike the very last installments.
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

The Last Vampyre, 1993, from the Granada series, The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes. A very bad attempt to turn "The Sussex Vampire," itself rather a modest entry in the Holmes Canon, into a feature length film. Not. Good.
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

The Phantom Menace, y'know, that prequel to one of those film franchise doohickies, made a few years back...

Still waiting until I can be relatively sure there are no Killer Corona Cooties on my copy of The Rise of Skywalker before I try that one one.
Lord Tesla
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Lord Tesla wrote: April 4th, 2020, 3:45 pm Still waiting until I can be relatively sure there are no Killer Corona Cooties on my copy of The Rise of Skywalker before I try that one one.
LT, I know you've have to watch it, but... I'd have a guilty conscience if I encouraged you to watch TROS. To make sure you don't get cooties, I'd say burn your copy of TROS and then forget it exists.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

borgmatrix wrote: April 10th, 2020, 8:49 am
Lord Tesla wrote: April 4th, 2020, 3:45 pm Still waiting until I can be relatively sure there are no Killer Corona Cooties on my copy of The Rise of Skywalker before I try that one one.
LT, I know you've have to watch it, but... I'd have a guilty conscience if I encouraged you to watch TROS. To make sure you don't get cooties, I'd say burn your copy of TROS and then forget it exists.
Warning apppreciated. No worries. I put the disk in with tongs.

Yep, I watched it. The Rise of Skywalker. That title was about as relevant to the content as...

Well, the whole thing struck me as irrelevant. It wasn't good, by any stretch. But, I didn't find it as bad as The Last Moof-Milker, either. Or as bad as I expected it to be. It was just tedious, for the most part. Somehow like an intrusion into a really good dream, that wakes you up--not happily--but then fades from thought, taking the glow off the dream it crashed with it.

Except I still remember it.

It's randomness and illogicality also made it seem somehow dreamlike. And not in a good way.

I wonder if these idiots latched on to Yoda's "There is no 'why'" line early in life, and took it literally?

The day before, I watched most of What Lies Beneath. Also not a good movie, but not a really bad movie, either.

I seem to be finding a lot of films from around the turn-of-the-century popping up now, and even older films that aren't quite ready for relegation to TCM, or qualified to be called classic, such as What Lies Beneath. I'd attribute it to the scarcity of new programming due to the Virus, but it started before the Virus got down to serious mayhem.
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Sunday night I popped Quatermas and the Pit in the disc player. I've seen it in whole or in part a number of times, but not recently. This was the first time I'd had the chance to goggle the film from the Scream Factory release.

Alas, I nodded off.

But, what parts of it I saw were as good as I remembered them, and I hope to make another (successful) pass at it soon.

Particulars: 1967 Hammer films, color, 97 minues; written by Nigel Kneale. Directed by Roy Ward Baker. Starring Andrew Keir, James Donald, Barbara Shelley and Julian Glover.
Lord Tesla
Jjm3233

Post by Jjm3233 »

The Empire Strikes Back - A+

Watched it yesterday with my boys as a part of our May 4th revelry.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Twilight Zone: The Movie. Warner Bros., 1983. Color, 101 minutes. Directed by John Landis, Steven Speilberg, et. al..

What a mess. I hadn't seen it in years, but remembered fondly the prologue with Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks, and the remake of the old Shatner episode, "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." So I recorded and watched it. Big mistake. Vastly inferior to the original series, and cost the lives of Vic Morrow and two child actors. Not even the two stories fondly remembered, stood up to a repeat viewing. "Something Scary" drags on too long, and "Nightmare" is a bloated mess that lacks the clean, direct line of the original episode, larded up with overacting and special effects more elaborate but, if anything, less effective than those of the original.

Thank the Maker for the FF key...
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

The Trouble with Harry, 1955, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, 99 minutes, color. Starring Edmund Gwenn, John Forsythe, Shirley McClaine, et. al.

I must have seen it a dozen times, but it's still entertaining, and a charmingly mild little blast from a better world in the Dark Times.
Lord Tesla
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Lord Tesla wrote: April 28th, 2020, 11:09 am Particulars: 1967 Hammer films, color, 97 minues; written by Nigel Kneale. Directed by Roy Ward Baker. Starring Andrew Keir, James Donald, Barbara Shelley and Julian Glover.
Hey LT, speaking of Hammer films. I'm recording "Horror of Dracula" (1958) with Christopher Lee with the plan to watch it later in the week. Worth my time?
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

borgmatrix wrote: October 19th, 2020, 9:44 pm
Lord Tesla wrote: April 28th, 2020, 11:09 am Particulars: 1967 Hammer films, color, 97 minues; written by Nigel Kneale. Directed by Roy Ward Baker. Starring Andrew Keir, James Donald, Barbara Shelley and Julian Glover.
Hey LT, speaking of Hammer films. I'm recording "Horror of Dracula" (1958) with Christopher Lee with the plan to watch it later in the week. Worth my time?
Hell, yes! It's not got a lot to do with Bram Stoker's novel, few Dracula adaptations do, aside from some names (and the Vampire Count named Dracula), but it's a Good Flick.

The last film I watched was John Ford's classic, The Searchers, from 1956. I watched it over a few days of daily treadmills on an iPad. Absolutely beautiful film, and just about as fine a Western as you're ever likely to see. Stars John Wayne, of course, and Jeffrey Hunter about ten years before he made the first Star Trek pilot playing Christopher Pike. A double-vision of lost worlds, post-Civil War Texas and 1950s America...
Lord Tesla
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Lord Tesla wrote: October 20th, 2020, 10:59 am Hell, yes! It's not got a lot to do with Bram Stoker's novel, few Dracula adaptations do, aside from some names (and the Vampire Count named Dracula), but it's a Good Flick.
A movie getting designated Good Flick by you is a pretty rare and well-earned thing... color me excited. :)
The last film I watched was John Ford's classic, The Searchers, from 1956. I watched it over a few days of daily treadmills on an iPad. Absolutely beautiful film, and just about as fine a Western as you're ever likely to see. Stars John Wayne, of course, and Jeffrey Hunter about ten years before he made the first Star Trek pilot playing Christopher Pike. A double-vision of lost worlds, post-Civil War Texas and 1950s America...
I'm trying to remember if I've seen this... which probably means I haven't. I'll have to remedy that.

Let's see, my last film was... Oh, right, the "Tomb Raider" from a couple years ago. Obviously not great, but needed something harmless, non-offensive, and fast-paced enough to watch with my parents when I visited them over the weekend. It got the job done. I might have liked it better this time than the first time I saw it, but that's probably due to my expectations being lowered.
Jjm3233

Post by Jjm3233 »

Bill & Ted Face the Music - B-

Nice, sweet film. Watched it with my family, and we all enjoyed it. But it made us talk about the first two films more. But not sure I will watch it again.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Jjm3233 wrote: October 25th, 2020, 8:05 am Bill & Ted Face the Music - B-

Nice, sweet film. Watched it with my family, and we all enjoyed it. But it made us talk about the first two films more. But not sure I will watch it again.
I haven't seen it yet, but watching the trailer, I was worried Keanu Reeves hadn't settled into the character well or successfully captured Ted from the first two movies. How was his performance?