Live-action: "The Mandalorian" (2019)

Siamese Sith

Re: "The Mandalorian" Live-Action Series (2019)

Post by Siamese Sith »

So after watching Friday’s episode of the Mandalorian  I’m convinced Boba Fett was just hung over from Jabba’s party the night before in Return of the Jedi, that’s why he fell in the Sarlacc pit!
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Siamese Sith wrote: December 6th, 2020, 11:32 am So after watching Friday’s episode of the Mandalorian  I’m convinced Boba Fett was just hung over from Jabba’s party the night before in Return of the Jedi, that’s why he fell in the Sarlacc pit!
Hung over? Fett? I don't think so. He was suffering from George Lucas's sense of humor.

(Or should that be alleged sense of humor?)
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Migs and Mando have TPS reports that have to get filed, so they go to Morag...Morak.
Lord Tesla

Re: Live-action: "The Mandalorian" (2019)

Post by Lord Tesla »

Holy Expletive Deleted!

I just saw Episode 8 of Season 2, Chapter 16 "The Rescue," which I presume is the end of season two, and I have to say...

That was pretty darned good!

It wasn't without its problems (for example: Why do Super Duper Troopers resort to fists? I can think of things we've seen in earlier episodes used by other characters that would have been more effective), but...there were two or three moments there that made me willing to overlook the rest. If I can recall how to get spoiler tags to work, I'll make a few brief remarks about them.

Spoiler: testtest.

Well, that's not perfect, but it's the best I can manage. Below, highlight the text to see what it says, but only if you feel like it, of course.

Spoiler 1: Luke Skywalker. I'm assuming that was live-action, with digital effects once the hood came down. Not sure about the voice: Mark Hamill trying to sound thirty or so years younger? CG audio? He's credited in the cast, but maybe that's just for use of the face and (an approximation of) voice. Who the hell cares. They finally gave me the moment I've wanted since I sat in that nearly-deserted theater to see The Force Awakens: Luke Skywalker to the rescue! Jimminy! Better yet, they gave me something I've been waiting for since 1983: Luke Skywalker doing something without screwing it up! He did it. He didn't lose any limbs or other appendages, he didn't have to be rescued or hauled away by his friends, and his dad didn't have to bail him out of the jam. Of course, it was only against robots--but never mind! It was worth the price of Disney+ to see.

Spoiler 2: The Mando and the Kid's goodbye. Jeez, that got to me.

Spoiler 3: Was it my imagination, or was that The Millennium Falcon flying across the screed in the distance at just about five mimutes in?

Well, those are the big two, but, there are implications here...

Spoiler 4: For instance, can that Luke Skywalker be the Luke Skywalker from the execrable sequel trilogy? Or put another way, can this Luke Skywalker be extrapolated to produce Crazy Old Fart on Kerchoo Luke. I don't think so. What are the implications of that? Is it a one-off deal, a continuity conflict tolerated to make fans of my stripe feel a little better, or was it laziness, or do these poor deluded people think that that Luke Skywalker could be the later Luke Skywalker and there is no conflict? Probably the latter. But, given the Mando's vow to see the kid again, can this be the last we see of either the Kid or Skywalker? Could it be--no it couldn't, could it?--could it be the first small step in trying to fix the sequel continuity? I mean, if it's not, what happened to Grogu? Is he a lilliputian Darth somewhere in the galaxy now, another patented Luke Skywalker failure, or did Kylo kill the little critter? And what about the Falcon? (If it was the Falcon.) What are we to make of that? With a few flicks of a keyboard, and a brief showing by Han Solo...they could render the sequels apocryphal, and rescue the sequel era.

And I'll stop there, at least until I see that someone's read even this far.

Of course, now that they've done that, I don't see how this show holds together, because the dynamic has shifted altogether...and I'm not sure they can continue to keep the changed premise entertaining.
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Lord Tesla wrote: December 18th, 2020, 4:10 pm Holy Expletive Deleted!

I just saw Episode 8 of Season 2, Chapter 16 "The Rescue," which I presume is the end of season two, and I have to say...

That was pretty darned good!

It wasn't without its problems (for example: Why do Super Duper Troopers resort to fists? I can think of things we've seen in earlier episodes used by other characters that would have been more effective), but...there were two or three moments there that made me willing to overlook the rest. If I can recall how to get spoiler tags to work, I'll make a few brief remarks about them.

Spoiler: testtest.

Well, that's not perfect, but it's the best I can manage. Below, highlight the text to see what it says, but only if you feel like it, of course.

Spoiler 1: Luke Skywalker. I'm assuming that was live-action, with digital effects once the hood came down. Not sure about the voice: Mark Hamill trying to sound thirty or so years younger? CG audio? He's credited in the cast, but maybe that's just for use of the face and (an approximation of) voice. Who the hell cares. They finally gave me the moment I've wanted since I sat in that nearly-deserted theater to see The Force Awakens: Luke Skywalker to the rescue! Jimminy! Better yet, they gave me something I've been waiting for since 1983: Luke Skywalker doing something without screwing it up! He did it. He didn't lose any limbs or other appendages, he didn't have to be rescued or hauled away by his friends, and his dad didn't have to bail him out of the jam. Of course, it was only against robots--but never mind! It was worth the price of Disney+ to see.

Spoiler 2: The Mando and the Kid's goodbye. Jeez, that got to me.

Spoiler 3: Was it my imagination, or was that The Millennium Falcon flying across the screed in the distance at just about five mimutes in?

Well, those are the big two, but, there are implications here...

Spoiler 4: For instance, can that Luke Skywalker be the Luke Skywalker from the execrable sequel trilogy? Or put another way, can this Luke Skywalker be extrapolated to produce Crazy Old Fart on Kerchoo Luke. I don't think so. What are the implications of that? Is it a one-off deal, a continuity conflict tolerated to make fans of my stripe feel a little better, or was it laziness, or do these poor deluded people think that that Luke Skywalker could be the later Luke Skywalker and there is no conflict? Probably the latter. But, given the Mando's vow to see the kid again, can this be the last we see of either the Kid or Skywalker? Could it be--no it couldn't, could it?--could it be the first small step in trying to fix the sequel continuity? I mean, if it's not, what happened to Grogu? Is he a lilliputian Darth somewhere in the galaxy now, another patented Luke Skywalker failure, or did Kylo kill the little critter? And what about the Falcon? (If it was the Falcon.) What are we to make of that? With a few flicks of a keyboard, and a brief showing by Han Solo...they could render the sequels apocryphal, and rescue the sequel era.

And I'll stop there, at least until I see that someone's read even this far.

Of course, now that they've done that, I don't see how this show holds together, because the dynamic has shifted altogether...and I'm not sure they can continue to keep the changed premise entertaining.
Yes, the episode was marvelous and much, much more satisfying than anything from the ST! I hope you didn't miss that fabulous post-credits scene, Tesla?

So, since the tags don't work... Yes, it was digitally altered footage from ROTJ and it was Mark Hamill doing the voice. It was digitally altered to a higher pitch as to make him sound younger.

I do think it's possible that there's an effort to "fix" the Sequel Trilogy. We'll see what will happen in the "Ahsoka" series as that logo is very reminiscent of the World Between Worlds introduced in "Rebels". I only think it's sad that these people, who clearly understands Star Wars, wasn't put in charge in the first place and that the hack Abrams, who can't write and only emulate, got to make two movies. And Ruin Johnson...
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

The title of the episode is brilliant in the same way Return of the Jedi has multiple connotations!
Who was rescued? Grogu? Din? Luke? The franchise???
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

Haha, excellent point about the title.

So because I was too tight to subscribe to Disney+ until the episodes were released, I had three appearances spoiled for me via social media. That's my own fault, but I still thoroughly enjoyed them.

As previously commented, this is what I expected the ST to achieve in the hands of Disney - they showed they can do it with Marvel, but seemed to drop the ball a little with the sequels. Maybe they didn't know how to handle such big names from such a big franchise at the time. But if they get the TV shows right I can probably forgive them.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Master Shrive I bought a years sub and I found out about the appearance of the characters via social media before I saw the eps. I accept this as part of life. Too many tv shows encourage viewers to tweet during shows (use the hashtag ...) so people tweet about all shows now. Even UPFs now only wait a few days before discussing. If you don't want to know then stay off social media or you need to subscribe earlier. The days of being spoiler free are gone.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

Yeah I agree.

And there's not too many shows I watch one episode a week of now; they're either released a full season at a time, or I'll wait until the full season is ready to go (especially with streaming services).
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Season 3 is set to start streaming on March 1.
Zedekk

Post by Zedekk »

ONE MORE WEEK! I'm really looking forward to it. :mando:
impermanance is the only constant in the universe of change
Zedekk

Post by Zedekk »

Just finished re-watching Season 1 Episode 1. forgot how much I really enjoyed this.
Zedekk

Post by Zedekk »

Watched S3 Ep 1. I was wondering why the featured IG-11 in the review. I still like the series.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

I've watched the third season and it was ok. Katee Sackoff was good. Pedro was under utilised. Grogu should start talking at some point as it is getting tiring. I understand why they did it just disappointed.

It has been announced that they will be making a movie of The Mandalorian & Grogu.