Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Discuss Episodes 4-6 here.
Post Reply
User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 244
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by thepepgal » March 25th, 2017, 8:32 am

Last of the OT. Longest battle which starts around half way until the end. My fav.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

Momin327
Posts: 7
Joined: May 10th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Momin327 » May 25th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Happy 35th anniversary to ROTJ.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 396
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Master Magnus » May 25th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Momin327 wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 2:12 pm
Happy 35th anniversary to ROTJ.
:w00t: Not the best of the SW movies, but still darn good.

User avatar
borgmatrix
Posts: 172
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by borgmatrix » June 20th, 2018, 9:00 am

Master Magnus wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 2:45 pm
:w00t: Not the best of the SW movies, but still darn good.
And it certainly come across much better compared to TFA and TLJ.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 396
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Master Magnus » June 20th, 2018, 10:41 am

borgmatrix wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 9:00 am
Master Magnus wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 2:45 pm
:w00t: Not the best of the SW movies, but still darn good.
And it certainly come across much better compared to TFA and TLJ.
Oh yes, it's miles ahead of those movies.

User avatar
borgmatrix
Posts: 172
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by borgmatrix » January 28th, 2019, 11:08 am

Caught a bit of ROTJ over the weekend, the scene on Endor where Vader and Luke are talking. Luke I think had his back turned and Vader ignited Luke's saber. I thought of the scene in ROTS where Palpatine has his back turned, asking "are you going to kill me?", when Anakin ignited his own saber. Not sure if this was an intentional parallel or not, but its interesting to watch the OT and see scenes that remind of a PT scene, ones I hadn't thought of or noticed before. I feel like there were others as I've caught bits and pieces of the OT over the last few weeks on TV, but others aren't coming to mind.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 396
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Master Magnus » January 28th, 2019, 11:52 am

borgmatrix wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 11:08 am
Caught a bit of ROTJ over the weekend, the scene on Endor where Vader and Luke are talking. Luke I think had his back turned and Vader ignited Luke's saber. I thought of the scene in ROTS where Palpatine has his back turned, asking "are you going to kill me?", when Anakin ignited his own saber. Not sure if this was an intentional parallel or not, but its interesting to watch the OT and see scenes that remind of a PT scene, ones I hadn't thought of or noticed before. I feel like there were others as I've caught bits and pieces of the OT over the last few weeks on TV, but others aren't coming to mind.
Yes, the parallel is intentional. George Lucas wanted the movies within the trilogies, the stanzas if you will, to rhyme. There are plenty of examples of the visual and storytelling "rhyming" between the OT and the PT (how shots are built, how characters are framed and moved etc.). JJ Abrams managed to rhyme to some degree, but the rhyming between the OT and the ST got shot out of the water with TLJ (that movie rhymes better with Spaceballs).

User avatar
borgmatrix
Posts: 172
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by borgmatrix » January 29th, 2019, 9:17 am

Master Magnus wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 11:52 am
JJ Abrams managed to rhyme to some degree, but the rhyming between the OT and the ST got shot out of the water with TLJ (that movie rhymes better with Spaceballs).
And as we've discussed in other threads, Abrams/Kasdan took it too far in TFA, too note-for-note and too intrinsic to the backbone of their script...which ended up not even feeling like theirs, but cribbed/appropriated from ANH.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 396
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Master Magnus » January 29th, 2019, 1:54 pm

borgmatrix wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 9:17 am
Master Magnus wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 11:52 am
JJ Abrams managed to rhyme to some degree, but the rhyming between the OT and the ST got shot out of the water with TLJ (that movie rhymes better with Spaceballs).
And as we've discussed in other threads, Abrams/Kasdan took it too far in TFA, too note-for-note and too intrinsic to the backbone of their script...which ended up not even feeling like theirs, but cribbed/appropriated from ANH.
Yes, that's absolutely true. TFA also broke the rhyming by having a non-Skywalker destroy Starkiller Base (Droid Control Ship - Anakin, Death Star I - Luke, Starkiller Base - Poe).

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 244
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by thepepgal » January 29th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Master Magnus wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Yes, that's absolutely true. TFA also broke the rhyming by having a non-Skywalker destroy Starkiller Base (Droid Control Ship - Anakin, Death Star I - Luke, Starkiller Base - Poe).
ROTJ broke this rhyming DS 2 by Lando and Wedge.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 396
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Master Magnus » January 30th, 2019, 1:16 am

thepepgal wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 3:47 pm
Master Magnus wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Yes, that's absolutely true. TFA also broke the rhyming by having a non-Skywalker destroy Starkiller Base (Droid Control Ship - Anakin, Death Star I - Luke, Starkiller Base - Poe).
ROTJ broke this rhyming DS 2 by Lando and Wedge.
No, it really didn't as it was the rhyming between the trilogies, not between the movies, that was referred to. :)

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 396
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Master Magnus » May 11th, 2020, 3:01 am

Sorry for the DP... I've been a stark defender of the Special Editions and later changes. However, I can't defend the latest changes made to ROTJ introduced in 2011. The door to Jabba's palace is just dumb and Vader's "Noooo" ruined the scene.

User avatar
Zapp Brannigan
Posts: 33
Joined: December 20th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Zapp Brannigan » June 22nd, 2020, 10:14 pm

What happened to Jabba's door?
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 396
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Master Magnus » June 23rd, 2020, 10:18 am

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 10:14 pm
What happened to Jabba's door?
A totally pointless change intended for the never-released 3D version. The change only introduced continuity errors. The shot is also not static, but it pans.

User avatar
Zapp Brannigan
Posts: 33
Joined: December 20th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Post by Zapp Brannigan » June 23rd, 2020, 6:00 pm

Yeah I just looked at a comparison picture. Pretty sure I never would have noticed, but now I'll always see it. lol
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:

Post Reply