Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

Discuss Episodes 4-6 here.
thepepgal

Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

Post by thepepgal »

A fav with the fans. Lots of snow. The title says it all. ;)
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
DblDwn

Re: Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

Post by DblDwn »

Ok, perfect venue for this question.Obviously Bodhi identifies them as "Rogue One" in the movie as they are violating orders to leave Yavin 4. Since Han was told the speeders weren't adapted to the cold on Hoth do we assume that the pilot searching for them the following morning, i.e. Rogue Two, took his own name because he was advised against going out and did so anyway? Greatest subtle nod yet?
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

DblDwn wrote: March 26th, 2017, 1:22 am Ok, perfect venue for this question.Obviously Bodhi identifies them as "Rogue One" in the movie as they are violating orders to leave Yavin 4. Since Han was told the speeders weren't adapted to the cold on Hoth do we assume that the pilot searching for them the following morning, i.e. Rogue Two, took his own name because he was advised against going out and did so anyway? Greatest subtle nod yet?
Don't know beef from anything about Bodhi 'cause I haven't seen Rogue One yet. However, in ESB, it was Rogue Squadron, all the speeder crews had Rogue numbers, and, when they went against the Imperial Walkers, Luke was "Rogue Leader." Now, maybe that can be retconned to be a naming in honor of the yoyos and whatevethehell they do in Rogue One, but, I'm thinking, no, not, and again, not, because it wasn't devised that way, and I'm a traditionalist. It was just a snappier name than "Red Squadron."
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

DblDwn, true Bodhi use "Rogue One" as he is describing what they were able to do in breaking orders. When Han left on a tauntaun, it was because the speeders were still being converted for the cold. Zev Senesca (Rogue Two) took out the speeder the next morning when it was finished and safer due to it not being nightfall when the temp dropped dramatically. So it was authorised. I think Red Squadron as a name could have been retired due to the lost of so many pilots and to honour the sacrifice.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

DblDwn wrote: March 26th, 2017, 1:22 am Ok, perfect venue for this question.Obviously Bodhi identifies them as "Rogue One" in the movie as they are violating orders to leave Yavin 4. Since Han was told the speeders weren't adapted to the cold on Hoth do we assume that the pilot searching for them the following morning, i.e. Rogue Two, took his own name because he was advised against going out and did so anyway? Greatest subtle nod yet?
I don't think it's been addressed in-canon yet, but I personally like to believe that it is a tribute to the Scarif team.
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
DblDwn

Post by DblDwn »

I had forgotten that they were Rogue squadron in Empire. Good info everyone. I agree that it works best as an unspoken nod to the Scarif Bandits.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

There's a strong implication that Rogue group was named in honor after Jyn's band.

That's the kind of retcon I like: A more organic one to introduce elements rather than covering up for errors.
Rollafett

Post by Rollafett »

Lord Tesla wrote: March 26th, 2017, 9:39 pm Don't know beef from anything about Bodhi 'cause I haven't seen Rogue One yet. However, in ESB, it was Rogue Squadron, all the speeder crews had Rogue numbers, and, when they went against the Imperial Walkers, Luke was "Rogue Leader." Now, maybe that can be retconned to be a naming in honor of the yoyos and whatevethehell they do in Rogue One, but, I'm thinking, no, not, and again, not, because it wasn't devised that way, and I'm a traditionalist. It was just a snappier name than "Red Squadron."
Oh my god, Tesla. Do us all a favor and NEVER see this movie. You seem to be pre-disposed to not liking it, that even if you do see it, debating you about it's merits will be such a futile exercise.
"All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi."
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Rollafett wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 5:41 pm
Lord Tesla wrote: March 26th, 2017, 9:39 pm Don't know beef from anything about Bodhi 'cause I haven't seen Rogue One yet. However, in ESB, it was Rogue Squadron, all the speeder crews had Rogue numbers, and, when they went against the Imperial Walkers, Luke was "Rogue Leader." Now, maybe that can be retconned to be a naming in honor of the yoyos and whatevethehell they do in Rogue One, but, I'm thinking, no, not, and again, not, because it wasn't devised that way, and I'm a traditionalist. It was just a snappier name than "Red Squadron."
Oh my god, Tesla. Do us all a favor and NEVER see this movie. You seem to be pre-disposed to not liking it, that even if you do see it, debating you about it's merits will be such a futile exercise.
But, I've got a copy arriving Tuesday. I actually have the download, and have had it since it was released, but that's for easy reference after I've had the big (TV) screen experience on the BRD. I've made special plans to watch it Tuesday evening...

And I always keep my expectations low. It prevents at least some disappointment. But, how can it be right? If it's any good, it's bound to look like a tail wagging the dog of ANH. And if it isn't, well, then it's just an exercise in cash extraction from the fanbase. Still looking forward to the debates, anyway.
Lord Tesla
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Lord Tesla wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 3:50 am
Rollafett wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 5:41 pm Oh my god, Tesla. Do us all a favor and NEVER see this movie. You seem to be pre-disposed to not liking it, that even if you do see it, debating you about it's merits will be such a futile exercise.
But, I've got a copy arriving Tuesday.
So, based on our discussion in the "last movie watched" thread, I'll say you should have listened to Rolla. And maybe I should have come in here first, and taken heed of his "futile exercise" assessment. :laugh:

Next, I think I need to read the rest of the posts here and see why Rogue One is a topic of discussion in the ESB thread.
Last edited by borgmatrix on April 13th, 2017, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

borgmatrix wrote: April 10th, 2017, 12:35 pm
So, based on our discussion in the "last movie watched" thread, I'll say you should have listened to Rolla. And maybe I should have come in here first, and taken heed of his "futile exercise" assessment. :laugh:
Perhaps I should have. But I already lapsed by not seeing the film in the theater. I wasn't going to compound the lapse by letting it be the only live-action feature I didn't see, period. Not to mention it would have left a gap on my Star Wars film shelf.
borgmatrix wrote: April 10th, 2017, 12:35 pmNext, I think I need to read the rest of the posts here and see why Rogue One is a topic of discussion in the ESB threat.
The answer is simple. We are an unruly and nonlinear lot. Do we have the Vulcan salute "smiley" or emoji? I feel a burning need to make that gesture just now.
Lord Tesla
Rollafett

Post by Rollafett »

borgmatrix wrote: April 10th, 2017, 12:35 pm
Glad I drew such a hearty laugh out of you. And even after years of infrequent activity on the GS, it's maddening, and also good, to see that Tesla is still Tesla.
"All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi."
MaxReedLeo07

Post by MaxReedLeo07 »

Yoda had to conceal after the Emperor took power, lest he be located and killed via Vader / the Emperor. Dagobah turned into a great spot, due to the fact heaps of years formerly, a effective Dark Jedi become killed there.
TomasMayton

Post by TomasMayton »

And I continually hold my expectancies low. It prevents at the least a few sadness. But, how can it be proper? If it is any exact, it is sure to appear like a tail wagging the canine of ANH. And if it isn't always, nicely, then it's just an workout in cash extraction from the fanbase. Still searching ahead to the debates, besides.
MWave36

Found Test Footage from Episode V

Post by MWave36 »

As some of you here may recall, a few months ago I posted some images of a trove of old b/w test footage I obtained back in 1980 from the garbage cans used by the building on Tunstead Ave. in San Anselmo during the editing of Empire Strike Back (acquired legally by waiting for the cans to be dumped into the back of a garbage truck). At the time I was inquiring about the potential value, and to give everyone a heads up that I was offering a few of the film cells on eBay. I received a lot of positive feedback, and requests to not chop up the footage but rather to have it all professionally restored, spliced together, and converted to digital for viewing. I also got a lot of offers to help me do this, which I still intend to do after I complete my move from Nevada to Indiana after the New Year. I've attached a couple images of the collection.

Many of the strips are too short to produce anything meaningful, or are too damaged and only have a few clean cells left (although about 80% is still good). These are the strips I have taken four cells from to offer on eBay, which I am about to do again, so don't worry. I'm not chopping up the footage.

Several of you on this and other Star Wars forums asked for advance notice if I were to ever offer cells from this film on eBay, so if you're still interested the listings go live beginning at 3:00 pm PST today, Dec. 15th. Search for the title "Star Wars Episode V Empire Strikes Back • Film Cells from Found b/w Test Footage".

I'll also let you know when the restoration process begins and when the compiled footage is available for viewing.

Thanks.

Len

Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Random thought I had while watching this movie the other day: why did Luke not face any consequences for taking one of the Alliance's X-Wings to Dagobah without authorization and then losing it on Bespin?
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 6:16 pm Random thought I had while watching this movie the other day: why did Luke not face any consequences for taking one of the Alliance's X-Wings to Dagobah without authorization and then losing it on Bespin?
Luke was a hero and one of the most senior commanders of the Alliance. He would get away with anything.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

That's why Luke spent so long hiding out at Ahch-To so he didn't have to pay back the lost of his X-Wing :laugh: :laugh:

Luke would have had to debrief after Bespin. I'm sure that Leia would confirm that as Luke was injured he was unable to retrieve his ship from an Imperial occupied Bespin. She was making the decisions on where the Falcon was going and the health of one of the pilots and Leia (senior leader) escaping capture is more important than trying to retrieve the ship.

On going to Dagobah, Luke may have said he had something he needed to check out in relation to Obi Wan to Leia so she then cleared that he take a detour going to back to the fleet.