Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
thepepgal

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal »

This is the thread to discuss the upcoming film. WARNiNG this thread will share everything so if you want to see the film with no rumours or spoilers DO NOT READ FURTHER.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Darth Bangkok

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Any idea when there will be a trailer?
Javen

Post by Javen »

Most likely at Star Wars Celebration, but could be a bit before that during that week. They never really give us a heads up they'll just drop it one day.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Javen wrote: March 29th, 2017, 7:38 am Most likely at Star Wars Celebration, but could be a bit before that during that week. They never really give us a heads up they'll just drop it one day.
If I were a betting man I'd also go with Celebration....
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

OK, thanks! So just a few more weeks. But for EPVII, we had the trailers out much earlier than this if I remember correctly.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Snippets of Episode VIII, such as a shot of Rey swinging her lightsaber, was shown at the 2017 CinemaCon in Las Vegas the other day: The Independent
Obidobi

Post by Obidobi »

Not sure if I want myself spoiled with anything this time... Then again.. The curiosity is hard to handle.... :roll:
It's a trap.... :roll:
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Obidobi, There is also a spoiler free thread for posting. Remember once you start down the spoilers path, forever will it dominate your thread feed / destiny, consume you it will. :lol:
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

It's quite possible that the first trailer (or teaser) will be shown tomorrow Friday during Celebration.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Master Magnus wrote: April 13th, 2017, 4:13 am It's quite possible that the first trailer (or teaser) will be shown tomorrow Friday during Celebration.
And, should that end up being the case, one can hope it will be spread far and wide across cyberspace shortly thereafter.

Another thing: Is there any substance to the assertion I've seen made that Samuel L. Jackson made video appearance at Celebration, in which he said, "Mace Windu is not dead"?
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Lord Tesla wrote: April 13th, 2017, 1:28 pmAnother thing: Is there any substance to the assertion I've seen made that Samuel L. Jackson made video appearance at Celebration, in which he said, "Mace Windu is not dead"?
No, he said something to the effect that he wants to return as an older Mace Windu with prosthetic limbs.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Master Magnus wrote: April 13th, 2017, 1:54 pm
Lord Tesla wrote: April 13th, 2017, 1:28 pmAnother thing: Is there any substance to the assertion I've seen made that Samuel L. Jackson made video appearance at Celebration, in which he said, "Mace Windu is not dead"?
No, he said something to the effect that he wants to return as an older Mace Windu with prosthetic limbs.
I see. Thanks for setting that straight. So, I suppose there's not much point in engaging in speculation about Windu's role in The Last Jedi.
Lord Tesla
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Here it is, the first teaser/trailer for The Last Jedi: YouTube
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

I literally shut everybody up at work so that I could listen to it :bb8: :bb8: :bb8:
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

That poster! Infinitely better than TFA rainbow edition poster. Am I the only one that instantly thought of pod racing with those small vessels skimming the surface heading Towards the AT-AT's waaaay off in the distance.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: April 14th, 2017, 12:43 pm That poster! Infinitely better than TFA rainbow edition poster. Am I the only one that instantly thought of pod racing with those small vessels skimming the surface heading Towards the AT-AT's waaaay off in the distance.
There were AT-AT's? *Checks* Oh, a whole bunch of them! Good eye! :)
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Master Magnus wrote: April 14th, 2017, 12:53 pm
Siamese Sith wrote: April 14th, 2017, 12:43 pm That poster! Infinitely better than TFA rainbow edition poster. Am I the only one that instantly thought of pod racing with those small vessels skimming the surface heading Towards the AT-AT's waaaay off in the distance.
There were AT-AT's? *Checks* Oh, a whole bunch of them! Good eye! :)
The AT-AT's are the finish line😎
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Poster? There was a poster? I saw a teaser poster on the OS, but I didn't see any vehicles. Was there more than one poster?
Lord Tesla
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Lord Tesla wrote: April 14th, 2017, 12:56 pm
Poster? There was a poster? I saw a teaser poster on the OS, but I didn't see any vehicles. Was there more than one poster?
The AT-AT's can be seen at 1:16 in the teaser trailer.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Well, that's...impressive, I suppose. The Trailer, I mean.

I suppose I could attempt to interpret it as being supportive of my theory that Luke is behind the First Order.

Odd that the first word we hear from Luke Skywalker after thirty-odd years is "breathe."

Odd also that it's time for the Jedi to end, but Rey also seems to be getting training for...what? To be the most powerful scavenger ever on Jakku?

Couldn't quite make out what all those dry whispers were saying while Rey was talking.

It looks good, the trailer that is. I reserve judgement on the film, of course.

Just random first impressions.

That, and I think I'm definitely going to make a concerted effort to see this one on opening day, not opening day +30, which is approximately what I did with TFA.
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Master Magnus wrote: April 14th, 2017, 1:02 pm
Lord Tesla wrote: April 14th, 2017, 12:56 pm
The AT-AT's can be seen at 1:16 in the teaser trailer.
Okay. That makes more sense. I think I sort of caught those, but didn't entirely realize what I'd caught. Off I go to re-view. Thanks!
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

A few additional trailer thoughts, after another viewing:

Those podracer-like things...look silly.

Why did Kylo Ren smash his helmet? Putting some distance between himself and Grampy? Done on the orders of Snokey? Or did someone else smash his helmet?

I'm assuming Luke-like figure with Artoo seen before flaming (Skellig-variant) Jedi Temple-like structure is Luke at the time Ren-Ben whacked the Jedi Order.

The Legend in His Own Mind is back, not that that's a surprise.

Is Finn now a cyborg?

I hope they don't try to attribute his weird resistance to the First Order indoctrination techniques as some kind of evidence of Force ability and try to turn him into an Anti-Vader.
Lord Tesla
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Lord Tesla wrote: April 14th, 2017, 1:05 pm
Odd that the first word we hear from Luke Skywalker after thirty-odd years is "breathe."
Something his father couldn't.....I'm here all week folks!
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Siamese Sith wrote: April 14th, 2017, 2:24 pm
Lord Tesla wrote: April 14th, 2017, 1:05 pm
Something his father couldn't.....I'm here all week folks!
Of course Darth Vader could breathe. He just needed a little mechanical help. You don't breathe, you die, after all, and well, he didn't. Die, that is, never mind the malodorous mound of malarkey Fibbin'-Wan Kenobi dumped on the poor, dumb farmboy.
Lord Tesla
Marbleman

Post by Marbleman »

I'm really hoping Luke's final words imply he has finally figured out the truth about the Jedi.

Which is (IMO), that they had become too dogmatic in their Code and that they didn't have a perfect bead on the ultimate truth about the Force (which is something KOTOR and other Star Wars media have long intimated about the Jedi Order).
Javen

Post by Javen »

The crazy looking ships skimming across the red sand are A-Wings. Ithink the planet is called Crait. Btw, Rian Johnson likes the Prequels, so I think there will be a mixture of PT and OT things in it.

The whispers you hear are Obi Wan and Yoda and Leia

Leia says"Help me Obi Wan."

Obi Wan says"Seduced by the dark side."

Yoda says"Binds us."

When Luke says whatever about the Jedi must end...Qui gon seemed to go against the norm and was always on the quest to find truth and I think Luke did. I think Obi Wan and Yoda lied to him. I think the ideas he is saying needs to end, certain choices, etc as a whole, not the actual Jedi but the code. It has caused more harm than good.

An interesting teaser.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Javen wrote: April 14th, 2017, 4:03 pm The crazy looking ships skimming across the red sand are A-Wings. Ithink the planet is called Crait. Btw, Rian Johnson likes the Prequels, so I think there will be a mixture of PT and OT things in it.
Yes, it's Crait. Rian mentioned it (and the name and purpose of the planet apparently leaked some time ago). But those ships aren't A-Wings, but are referred to as 'skimmers'. However, the new A-Wing model can be seen in the shot of the Resistance or New Republic fleet at 1:32 (they are a bit longer in the front than the ones from ROTJ).
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Master Magnus wrote: April 14th, 2017, 4:16 pm However, the new A-Wing model can be seen in the shot of the Resistance or New Republic fleet at 1:32 (they are a bit longer in the front than the ones from ROTJ).

Best I could manage at work.
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
RedMirax

Post by RedMirax »

My husband thinks it's Kylo saying the Jedi must end. I thought it was Luke.
Laugh it up fuzzball!

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
DblDwn

Post by DblDwn »

So if that shot of Luke and R2 looking at the fire is from Rey's vision in TFA then is that scene a flashback to Kylo and the Gang killing the new Jedi, as was assumed, or was that part of Rey's vision into the future?