Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 393
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » December 24th, 2019, 5:38 am

Siamese Sith wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:32 pm
I’m taking my son on his birthday (Jan 11) with some friends from school.
I find the negative reviews from RT very interesting! Seems JJ undid many of the problems that Rian Johnson created, and the shills aren’t pleased with that.
Does this installment help reunite the fandom?
"Shills"? TLJ was awful and while TROS is better it's still pretty bad. The editing is atrocious, there are rewrites allover it and the plot is pretty dumb and pedestrian with MacGuffin chases and gimmicks and nothing is ever really at stake. Jar Jar Abrams also borrows from his Star Trek movies again while emulating others and throwing in lines from ROTS, ANH and ROTJ while at the same time taking a dump on George Lucas's creation.

Just because something has the name Star Wars on it doesn't mean I'm going to be a mindless fanboy and gush over it. However, that doesn't mean that I don't respect the opinion of those who like the movie. Each one to their own.

Darth Bangkok
Posts: 32
Joined: March 29th, 2017, 6:07 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Darth Bangkok » December 26th, 2019, 8:41 am

I didn't love it or hate it, have to see it again. I was just happy it was an actual movie and not atrocious like TLJ. The last scene was stupid though.

One question I have though, aren't the Aftermath books canon? I didn't like the writing in them so don't remember all the details, but wasn't Palpatine dead in those books and other people were carrying out his secret plan to amass a new fleet in the unknown regions? So now Disney went against its own canon.

It was stupid of them not to flesh out the story of the 3 movies right at the beginning. Every time I read in the news that Palpatine being added after writing had already began, I cringe.

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 178
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » December 26th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Master Magnus wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 5:38 am
Siamese Sith wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:32 pm
I’m taking my son on his birthday (Jan 11) with some friends from school.
I find the negative reviews from RT very interesting! Seems JJ undid many of the problems that Rian Johnson created, and the shills aren’t pleased with that.
Does this installment help reunite the fandom?
"Shills"? TLJ was awful and while TROS is better it's still pretty bad. The editing is atrocious, there are rewrites allover it and the plot is pretty dumb and pedestrian with MacGuffin chases and gimmicks and nothing is ever really at stake. Jar Jar Abrams also borrows from his Star Trek movies again while emulating others and throwing in lines from ROTS, ANH and ROTJ while at the same time taking a dump on George Lucas's creation.

Just because something has the name Star Wars on it doesn't mean I'm going to be a mindless fanboy and gush over it. However, that doesn't mean that I don't respect the opinion of those who like the movie. Each one to their own.
Yes, the shill media that praised TLJ, and shat on fans that had an opposing opinion. They aren’t too happy with JJ “realigning the ship”.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 393
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » December 26th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Siamese Sith wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 12:32 pm
Master Magnus wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 5:38 am
Siamese Sith wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:32 pm
I’m taking my son on his birthday (Jan 11) with some friends from school.
I find the negative reviews from RT very interesting! Seems JJ undid many of the problems that Rian Johnson created, and the shills aren’t pleased with that.
Does this installment help reunite the fandom?
"Shills"? TLJ was awful and while TROS is better it's still pretty bad. The editing is atrocious, there are rewrites allover it and the plot is pretty dumb and pedestrian with MacGuffin chases and gimmicks and nothing is ever really at stake. Jar Jar Abrams also borrows from his Star Trek movies again while emulating others and throwing in lines from ROTS, ANH and ROTJ while at the same time taking a dump on George Lucas's creation.

Just because something has the name Star Wars on it doesn't mean I'm going to be a mindless fanboy and gush over it. However, that doesn't mean that I don't respect the opinion of those who like the movie. Each one to their own.
Yes, the shill media that praised TLJ, and shat on fans that had an opposing opinion. They aren’t too happy with JJ “realigning the ship”.
Ah.

bango31
Posts: 30
Joined: December 15th, 2017, 10:13 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by bango31 » December 27th, 2019, 1:46 am

I've had quite a bit to drink tonight, so I'll keep my comments succinct:

Rise of Skywalker made me despise The Last Jedi so much more than I already did, mostly because Disney wasted an entire movie on a nonsense plot and sub-par character "development," rather than using the middle movie to create more conflict and tension, and make people care about the trilogy's conclusion. Instead, it was more or less a self-contained story that ended on a weirdly optimistic note that made no sense given the rest of the film, and gave the audience no incentive to care about where the story went from there.

THAT SAID, TROS could have been much worse. I'm not sure it could have been better, seeing as this trilogy has been mismanaged from the start, and Disney made the decision to cash in on the OT characters rather than starting anew, which would have made much more sense given the lapse in time between the OT and now. This isn't like the novels, where the actual age of the actors doesn't matter, and they age at the rate you want them to.

Honestly, they would have been much better off keeping the EU, wiping out the Cade Skywalker storyline, and rewriting that time period. They would have had plenty of canon and lore to fall back on, they would have been completely removed from the constraints of the OT and its actors' current ages, but alas, this is what we got.
I want to be Grand Admiral Thrawn when I grow up.

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 178
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » January 3rd, 2020, 11:43 am

I’m seeing rumors of a JJ cut of TRoS that’s 3 hours long. Has anyone else heard of this.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 393
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » January 3rd, 2020, 3:03 pm

Siamese Sith wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 11:43 am
I’m seeing rumors of a JJ cut of TRoS that’s 3 hours long. Has anyone else heard of this.
Yes, most likely not true.

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 178
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » January 3rd, 2020, 6:12 pm

Gonna watch it tonight, but still going to take my son to the theater to see it on the 11th.

User avatar
borgmatrix
Posts: 172
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by borgmatrix » January 16th, 2020, 2:36 pm

bango31 wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 1:46 am
Rise of Skywalker made me despise The Last Jedi so much more than I already did, mostly because Disney wasted an entire movie on a nonsense plot and sub-par character "development," rather than using the middle movie to create more conflict and tension, and make people care about the trilogy's conclusion. Instead, it was more or less a self-contained story that ended on a weirdly optimistic note that made no sense given the rest of the film, and gave the audience no incentive to care about where the story went from there.
A big part of the problem is that Disney doesn't really seem to care what the plot is at all or whether the stories make any sense. They seemed fixed on only one thing: their schedule and getting the movies out with no delay.

We can blame Rian Johnson for wasting the middle chapter, and for the complete lack of communication and planning toward a coherent trilogy.

Abrams of course played a role in getting this all started off badly. But, as you've noted, he had to conclude a trilogy that was more of a mess after Johnson finished with it.
THAT SAID, TROS could have been much worse. I'm not sure it could have been better, seeing as this trilogy has been mismanaged from the start, and Disney made the decision to cash in on the OT characters rather than starting anew, which would have made much more sense given the lapse in time between the OT and now. This isn't like the novels, where the actual age of the actors doesn't matter, and they age at the rate you want them to.
Disney just wants to cash in on SW and doesn't care (or seem to notice) the trashing of the OT. Of course, so many fans also seem oblivious to that. Setting a trilogy after the OT with the surviving members of the OT is fine. But when you jettison the original writer and bring in new ones (Abrams/Kasdan) very late in the came because you're completely unwilling to budge on the release date... well, that pretty much guarantees a poor foundation to start with. They could have overcome that if they'd stuck with one creative mind, which should have been Abrams/Kasdan. But instead it was Rian Johnson who wanted to do his own thing (and building off that rotten foundation). Result... disaster.
Honestly, they would have been much better off keeping the EU, wiping out the Cade Skywalker storyline, and rewriting that time period. They would have had plenty of canon and lore to fall back on, they would have been completely removed from the constraints of the OT and its actors' current ages, but alas, this is what we got.
EU is the true continuation of the OT in my mind. The sequel trilogy just isn't coherent at all with the OT for me to be able to accept it on any level.

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 239
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal » February 19th, 2020, 3:54 pm

LFL has announced digital release on 17 March and bluray release of 31 March for the US. Australia gets the physical copy on 15 April. UK gets physical release on 20 April
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 178
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » March 27th, 2020, 1:50 pm

I got home from work last night to find TRoS Blu-ray on my kitchen table. So happy my wife got me a new coaster to protect my wood table from condensation rings!

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 393
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » March 27th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Siamese Sith wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 1:50 pm
I got home from work last night to find TRoS Blu-ray on my kitchen table. So happy my wife got me a new coaster to protect my wood table from condensation rings!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 178
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » March 28th, 2020, 11:01 am

It’s kinda irrelevant at this point but I’m curious what Javen thought of TRoS. As a fellow OG senator who called us negative and jaded for our opinions of TLJ, I’d love to read his feelings on IX.

User avatar
Lord Tesla
Posts: 273
Joined: March 25th, 2017, 7:02 pm
Location: Utopia Planitia

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Lord Tesla » April 1st, 2020, 4:10 pm

My copy of The Rise of Skywalker is out for delivery today, 1 April--I kid you not.

In a way, I'm eager to see it. I haven't seen the film yet. In another way, I'm eager to see it, just so I can be done with this particular trilogy.

I'm thinking it arriving in the middle of a deadly pandemic might make it seem a little better than it otherwise might have. But I have my doubts.
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming

User avatar
Javen
Posts: 60
Joined: March 25th, 2017, 11:06 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Javen » April 3rd, 2020, 1:29 pm

Siamese Sith wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 11:01 am
It’s kinda irrelevant at this point but I’m curious what Javen thought of TRoS. As a fellow OG senator who called us negative and jaded for our opinions of TLJ, I’d love to read his feelings on IX.
I thought I had posted my thoughts here but I guess I didn't. Here is my small review/thoughts the moment I got home on December 20th that I posted on another site.

If I was a cop I'd pull JJ over for excessive pacing.

For like 30 to 40 minutes it was a bit all over the place and was like an unstoppable run away train.

There are so many things to take in packed so full of stuff that I need a few more viewings. I though it was fun, sad, epic, grand, adventurous, questionable, satisfying, crazy, funny, and there were a few things set up that never went anywhere at all. Overall I liked it. I'm not sure where I'd place it in the 9 movies.

I also feel like it for sure should have been around 3 hours long. I mean it is a 4 hour movie in about 2 1/2 hours. I'm not joking.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to catch my breath. I just got off the biggest roller-coaster I've ever ridden.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 393
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » May 11th, 2020, 2:07 am

I've watched it thrice on Blu-Ray now. A deeply flawed, unimaginative and hollow movie. Not as bad as "The Last Moof-Milker" (Tesla!) but still very bad.

The ST is devoid of imagination. There were many complaints about Lucas's use of CG to create environments, but as long as they're are made well and are interesting, I really don't care. Two new, almost identical, desert planets in the same trilogy? Jakku and Pasaana? Heck, three (perhaps even four if the boring, flashridden planet of Exegol fits), including Tatooine, were shown in TROS. When I first saw the movie in theater, I was unsure if the Resistance (or was it back to Rebels) base perhaps was on the Endor moon or something. I take even Otoh Gunga before the ST settings any day.

Planet-killing weapons were old by the time of ROTJ and by TFA the concept felt passé. By introducing lazily modified Star Destroyer models from "Rogue One" with planet destroying weapons, I can't but feel that Star Wars jumped the shark. It also introduces plot holes wide enough for said Star Destroyers to fit through. And from where did the resources to build the tens of thousands of Star Destroyers with planet-killing capability come from anyway? Why the need of Starkiller?

The characters are mostly carbon copies of the original characters. Heck, Poe now has the same background as Han! Rey, THE BESTAST JEDI EVAR not only meditates, oh no, she floats in the air while doing so. The Force FaceTime, after everyone have forgotten it was Snoke setting up the bridge, has now been upgraded to allow Rey and Kylo to duke it out and to transfer objects. My oh my. Luke couldn't physically interact in VIII (and died to boot), but that's a non-issue for Rey and Kylo. Speaking of physical interaction, as Yoda in VIII, Luke can interact with the physical realm. Heck, he could even grab his lightsaber! That opens up a can of worms... If Luke knew that she was a Palpatine, then why did he ask "Who are you" in the trainwreck called "The Last Jedi"?

The biggest sin was the return of Palpatine. When I watched it in theater, my initial feeling was that it at least was fun to hear (as the egregious flashing made it difficult to see) Ian McDiarmid cackling, but that feeling soon faded away. And the irrevent changes to how the Sith and the Force works (including Force ghosts) felt cheap. Making Rey a Palpatine? What were they thinking? Rey had no connection to him! It fell completely flat. But hey, we can always assume a new name. And the waste of Harrison Ford nearly infuriates me!

I then watched The Clone Wars movie. That, my friends, IS Star Wars. :laugh:

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 178
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » May 21st, 2020, 10:38 am

This video is NSFW but absolutely hilarious and true IMO.
https://youtu.be/6a3dggHrtiQ

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 178
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » May 21st, 2020, 12:58 pm

THIS ONe’s slightly older, but just as true IMO, and humorous in a different way. Also NSFW!
Part 1: https://youtu.be/uz2clmrdfrE
Part 2: https://youtu.be/ZcwMulRZyX4

Post Reply