Live-action: "The Mandalorian" (2019)

Siamese Sith

Re: "The Mandalorian" Live-Action Series (2019)

Post by Siamese Sith »

To each their own, I think baby Yoda is adorable and is very impressive looking compared to SE Jabba and Episode I puppet Yoda.
Does anyone know the name of the planet the Mando went to to find baby Yoda?
Javen

Post by Javen »

What's next a baby Rancor with a leash? A baby trash compactor monster? A baby Jabba the Hutt? A baby Greedo with Wuhr babysitting him while he bartends?
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

When the stuffed toy is finally released in toy stores, it will Force levitate off the shelves. Friends and I were watching the series together and originally they were only going to watch the first two as they are casual SW fans. In the end we watched all 4 eps currently released but the show was given a change of name to 'Baby Yiddle featuring the Mandalorian'. Every time it appeared on the screen, there was ooh and aahs with comments of I need one from them.

My first impression of the show is that is nice but not a show I'm feel I need watch a second time.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

I haven't seen much of The Mandalorian. Ads, brief clips, some concept art circulating on the web. And who could escape the revoltingly cute Yodaling?

And I keep thinking one thing:

Lone Wolf and Cub

But I don't think I see any Japanese people.

Is this some of that "cultural appropriation" stuff I hear about?
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Episode 4 had MANY similarities to TCW S2E17 Bounty Hunters. There’s even a ship that might be the same model as the Razorcrest.
I think Filoni is directing episode 5, I’m looking forward to that!
Star Wars babies they’ll make your dreams come true,
Star Wars babies they’ll make your milk turn blue,
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Episode 5 was directed by Filoni, and it was a nostalgia overload! JJ must’ve gotten Filoni’s ear.
I did find the Mando’s knowledge of Tusken’s interesting.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Just watched the season finale of the Mandalorian. And I am so pleased with how this show has turned out!
THIS IS THE WAY!
Giancarlo Esposito was a phenomenal success! His character exuded a cool calculating definitive threat, Moff Gideon will be remembered long after the memories of Snoke and Captain Phasma have faded from memory.
Ethan van Sciver made a great analogy between this show and the Sequel Trilogy, if the child represents all the good of Star Wars, Disney is the Client and JJ Abrams is Dr Pershing who is trying to clone the child. We the fans are the Mandalorian, protecting the child (Star Wars).
I loved this show, and if you’d didn’t that’s fine also. I’m not gonna yuck your yum if you preferred the ST. Everyone is welcome to like what they like.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

This has been out since December 17th and I'm sure some of you have seen this but it's just so funny!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwzt1itvW6Q
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

It was a hit with my little scifi group and I'm the only one who is described as a big SW fan. Stories had a better SW feel than the ST. For something that can yet string a sentence together 'The Child' is the star and if it leaves hen ratings will drop.

It appears inevitable that Disney will finally name Yoda's species breaking GL wish of leaving it a mystery. Even if they never find the race, the Mandalorian is going to have to find out some info to assist with this journey.
toVor

Post by toVor »

thepepgal wrote: January 7th, 2020, 3:08 pm It was a hit with my little scifi group and I'm the only one who is described as a big SW fan. Stories had a better SW feel than the ST. For something that can yet string a sentence together 'The Child' is the star and if it leaves hen ratings will drop.

It appears inevitable that Disney will finally name Yoda's species breaking GL wish of leaving it a mystery. Even if they never find the race, the Mandalorian is going to have to find out some info to assist with this journey.
Unless Mando finds a clue or a map or some sort of ancient text, and is heard saying "So that's where they come from" but the info isn't shown on screen. It will be like the dark man on Lost never having a name and the audience being intentionally kept in the dark about what it was.
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Considering the instruction left at the end of the last ep, LFL has to balance keeping the mystery but feeding the story line. The first season was all out protecting the child and it appears the second is to reunite the child with its species. The average fan doesn't have the patience and doesn't remember that GL promised never to reveal Yoda's race.

The species is bigger than just a name reveal. Once known then it help with the care and upbringing of the child.

I have never seen any of Lost and have no plans to. This show isn't Lost and everyone I know felt cheated by the reveal it was all a dream. It made it very unpopular and Disney hates unpopular as it is bad for after sales.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Aside from Ashley Ekstien I think Rosario Dawson is a good choice for Ahsoka. And I don’t care about all the nonsense revolving around an alleged law suit over an alleged incident between her family and a house keeper.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Lord Tesla wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 11:20 am I haven't seen much of The Mandalorian. Ads, brief clips, some concept art circulating on the web. And who could escape the revoltingly cute Yodaling?

Lone Wolf and Cub

I've seen the first episode of The Mandalorian now. Hmm... Observations to follow. Not that anyone asked for them. Teaser: I didn't hate it.
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

thepepgal wrote: January 13th, 2020, 3:20 pmI have never seen any of Lost and have no plans to. This show isn't Lost and everyone I know felt cheated by the reveal it was all a dream. It made it very unpopular and Disney hates unpopular as it is bad for after sales.
Disney hates unpopular...?

The same folks that perpetrated So Low: A Star Wars Box Office Bomb, The Farce Awakens, The Last Moof-Milker, and The Irrelevance of Skywalker?

They seem to have a pretty high tolerance for profoundly unpopular films. Disastrously unpopular films.
Lord Tesla
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Lord Tesla wrote: May 10th, 2020, 10:59 am
Lord Tesla wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 11:20 am I haven't seen much of The Mandalorian. Ads, brief clips, some concept art circulating on the web. And who could escape the revoltingly cute Yodaling?

Lone Wolf and Cub

I've seen the first episode of The Mandalorian now. Hmm... Observations to follow. Not that anyone asked for them. Teaser: I didn't hate it.
I'm very curious what you thought of it! :) The show isn't available here in Sweden yet and I really want to see it.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Wow it’s not?
You will be pleasantly surprised!
Filoni and Faverau clearly prove that Star Wars isn’t dead!
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: May 13th, 2020, 11:54 am Wow it’s not?
You will be pleasantly surprised!
Filoni and Faverau clearly prove that Star Wars isn’t dead!
Glad to hear! :) No, Disney+ won't be available here in Sweden before fall. I haven't heard about a Blu-Ray release either so I guess they're holding out.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

The Child has a name. Sam Hargrave who is a 2nd unit director on the show has confirmed he knows the name.

Speculation is around whether it will be revealed in Season 2. I wonder if it is a name given to him or his name at birth.

https://collider.com/the-mandalorian-se ... interview/
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

thepepgal wrote: June 10th, 2020, 5:20 pm The Child has a name. Sam Hargrave who is a 2nd unit director on the show has confirmed he knows the name.

Speculation is around whether it will be revealed in Season 2. I wonder if it is a name given to him or his name at birth.

https://collider.com/the-mandalorian-se ... interview/
I would guess it will be revealed when they go to the planet of the Yoda people. I kind of doubt they will do that next season though.
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

I presume Mandalorian will give The Child a name this season and then we find out it's real name in the final season. They won't get to the planet until near the last episode ever so definitely not this season.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

You're probably right. But I could see them getting to the planet earlier, and then Yoda's people telling him it was the will of the force for him and the child to keep travelling together or something. Idk, could just be wishful thinking on my part. I really wanna see the Yoda home planet.
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Years ago George said that where Yoda was from would always remain a mystery. It appears that Disney is using the fans desire to make money out of it. Be careful what you wish for as it may lead to disappointment.
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

As mentioned in The Clone Wars, I finished a two week free trial of Disney+ and crammed in both TCW and The Mandalorian. This was a great live action show. I'd been waiting months to finally watch it and was not disappointed. I only hope they can keep this kind of level into the future.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Season two starts streaming on 30 Oct.

https://www.starwars.com/news/news/the- ... october-30
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

The trailer for season 2 has been released on the OS. There isn't a lot to it.

Strangely the Mandalorian isn't looking for the Child race to reunited him with but instead he is searching for the Jedi. Does this mean that in a future season he will meet Luke Skywalker? Considering it is set 9ABY then Luke would need to be recast. Unless there is a time jump to just before The Force Awakens, then Mark could play and probably reject training the child.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

The first episode of the second season... Wow! If you're not watching the show, get your bum on your couch ASAP!
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

That first ep was very interesting.So many references to previous films who film on that planet.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

S2E3 The Heiress was awesome! I’m a huge fan of Bo Katan! ❤️ And Katie Sackoff playing her character she’s voiced in TCW & SWR is Awesome!!! And the name she drops at the end of the episode to Din Jaren... YES!!! Can’t wait to see her in live action! Bo’s armor looked absolutely fantastic!
The inclusion of Bo Katan just blew the doors wide open to a larger world and has, in my opinion, integrated Din Djarin’s story more successfully into George Lucas’ Star Wars than the ST did by thousands of parsecs. The Mandalorian has brought a new hope to many fans across the world. Keep up the great work Dave and John!
This show is the way!
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Y'know, I liked the first season of The Mandalorian pretty well. It was sure a helluva lot better than anything those idiots threw at us in their Dark Empire-adaptation sequel trilogy. But it was pretty plain the thing that sold it was Yoda Jr. No Yoda Jr., no Mandalorian.

Because, as becomes pretty plain, the Mandalorian himself is pretty...boring. I'm no actor, and even I could play that role, with a stunt double to handle the potentially injurious stuff. Who couldn't? Stand around. Point your weapon. Deliver short lines of dialog, utterly flat. How hard could it be?

I've just started watching the second series: I'm about halfway through the first episode, and...WTF? Tatooine, again? Boba Fett's armor? Parts of Anni's pod racer? Revising the Krayt into Shai-Hulud? bad flashbacks to Tremors?

Worst of all: too much of the Tuskens, not enough of Yoda Jr. (Tuskens and Jawas, again? Speaking of which: How the hell does the Mandalorian know Tusken? How would anyone learn Tusken? Do they teach Tusken the same way they seem to teach Huttese in the Galaxy Far, Far Away? And since when did Tuskens sit down to chat with anyone but other Tuskens? Jimminy Christmas!)

And that's just from the episode so far.

It's still beats the Sequel Trilogy silly, but, really?

Final thought: What the hell happened to the Gamorreans? Were the Muppet suits from ROTJ no longer functional? Did they run out of CGI budget? Sheesh.

I hope it improves...
Lord Tesla
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

The future of the franchise was once believed to rest in the hands of the son of sons but that hope now rests in Dave Filoni's vision thanks to the lack of vision of JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson. Sadly they killed the legacy of the Skywalker.

For me the Skywalker saga ended with Episode VI. The future now belongs to Ahsoka Tano, Bo Katan, Ezra Bridger, Din D'jarin, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Moff Gideon and all the new and fascinating characters that truly enrich the galaxy far far away that so many find enjoyment in.
The rest of my thoughts are here:
http://free-swim.blogspot.com/2020/11/s ... i.html?m=1