Live-action: "Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi" *Spoilers allowed*

Master Magnus

Live-action: "Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi" *Spoilers allowed*

Post by Master Magnus »

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Stephen Daldry is in talks to direct an as-of-yet untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi stand-alone movie. It's rumored to be an origin story, dealing with Obi-Wan's life before joining the Jedi Order. While nothing has been officially announced yet, and it might take some time, it does seem pretty solid.

The Hollywood Reporter: 'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Film in the Works (Exclusive)
thepepgal

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by thepepgal »

It's funny how some media outlets are stating it's official when it isn't yet. The media are speculating about what it will be about. The Hollywood Reporter article mentions there is no script so what the story is about is still open.

I question the origins theory as we already see Obi Wan as a padawan in TPM. It was established that he trained with Qui Gon for 10 years. How much of a story could be from making Obi-Wan being younger is questionable.

With the Rebels series showing that Obi Wan did leave Tatooine between Ep 3 & 4, would give greater credence to a movie in this time period. Also Ewan has always expressed a desire to return to playing the character. Many female fans do like staring at him so another reason for Disney to milk this idea.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

I'm not interested in the Han Solo movie or a Boba Fett one, but this one or perhaps a Yoda movie I might be interested in depending on what it covers.

In general though, I'm not interested in one offs about a specific character. That can be dealt with in books. I'd rather have the side stories like in Rogue One if we are going to have one-offs.
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

This is probably the stand alone movie I'd be most looking forward to. However, I think they have the perfect chance to use Ewan. So if they do an "origins" story, I'd still want to see one set between 3 and 4.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Early in Disney's announcement they were having 3 stand alone movies and now they have 6 in development. Since Solo is just over a month away, there has been little talk of what the last of the originals stand alone. I wonder if this idea for a Obi Wan has been abandoned by Disney or if it is being developed by either Johnson or Benioff and Weiss into a trilogy. There would be enough of a time space to develop 3 on Obi Wan. He is a popular character. Ewan has stated he would like to return to the character.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: April 21st, 2018, 5:23 pm Early in Disney's announcement they were having 3 stand alone movies and now they have 6 in development. Since Solo is just over a month away, there has been little talk of what the last of the originals stand alone. I wonder if this idea for a Obi Wan has been abandoned by Disney or if it is being developed by either Johnson or Benioff and Weiss into a trilogy. There would be enough of a time space to develop 3 on Obi Wan. He is a popular character. Ewan has stated he would like to return to the character.
I don't think there would be enough material to fill a trilogy, especially if Ewan was to be in it. I think it'll be a single stand-alone movie (if it happens). But we just have to wait and see what Johnson's trilogy and the movies that Benioff and Weiss will develop will be about.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Ewan McGregor was spotted on the Solo red carpet.

Rumors are spreading the Kenobi film will commence shooting in January 2019 for a 2020 release.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

TMZ has a rumored director and synopsis: TMZ
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

thepepgal wrote: May 11th, 2018, 5:43 pm Ewan McGregor was spotted on the Solo red carpet.

Rumors are spreading the Kenobi film will commence shooting in January 2019 for a 2020 release.
And is it the expectation it'll likely be Ewan in the role? I know its seems like a no-brainer, but I'm worried about them going with someone else.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

borgmatrix wrote: May 25th, 2018, 10:54 am
thepepgal wrote: May 11th, 2018, 5:43 pm Ewan McGregor was spotted on the Solo red carpet.

And is it the expectation it'll likely be Ewan in the role? I know its seems like a no-brainer, but I'm worried about them going with someone else.
With the news of the Boba movie, I think this is dead for now.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

I think this is still very much alive but I'd have give spoilers to explain.

Also remember there are 7 films in development and announced by LFL so they all need a main character.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

thepepgal wrote: May 25th, 2018, 4:26 pm I think this is still very much alive but I'd have give spoilers to explain.
Yeah, I'll second this. I'm sure you're thinking about the same thing I am, and it's hard for me to envision them missing the opportunity.
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

borgmatrix wrote: May 29th, 2018, 8:33 am
thepepgal wrote: May 25th, 2018, 4:26 pm I think this is still very much alive but I'd have give spoilers to explain.
Yeah, I'll second this. I'm sure you're thinking about the same thing I am, and it's hard for me to envision them missing the opportunity.
Yeah agreed, think its too easy not to tie them all in
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Cassus Fett wrote: July 1st, 2018, 5:27 pm Yeah agreed, think its too easy not to tie them all in
Though I am concerned now about some of these standalones not being a sure thing (Kenobi, Fett). Sounds like Rian Johnson's trilogy is the only definite right now.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

I've seen some video's in my YT feed saying the Obi Wan stand alone was officially axed :evil: :rip:
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

Yes, those two things also concern me. There is so, so, so much potential here (like it or loathe it, there's a reason the EU was so large before the Disney take over, with books, games, comics, etc.) I just want to see that potential harnessed.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Considering the third stand alone never had a character theme officially announced by LFL, technically it can't be cancelled. Only announcement being they are revisiting their release schedule and what to develop. Obi Wan could be resurrected at some stage in the future.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

There is a rumour floating around that this film has morphed into a six part mini series to be shown on Disney's new streaming service.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

thepepgal wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:06 pm There is a rumour floating around that this film has morphed into a six part mini series to be shown on Disney's new streaming service.
With or without Ewan McGregor?
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

There is no mention either way about Ewan's involvement. It does appear that a third series is in production in the UK. I predict that there maybe an announcement about this at SW Celebration in 45 days or so.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Rumours flying around many entertainment sites (including Variety) is that Ewan has signed to reprise Obi Wan. Depending on who you read he will also direct and jury is out if it is a film or a tv series for Disney +.

Unsure when we will hear from LFL, maybe at D23.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: August 16th, 2019, 7:06 pm Rumours flying around many entertainment sites (including Variety) is that Ewan has signed to reprise Obi Wan. Depending on who you read he will also direct and jury is out if it is a film or a tv series for Disney +.

Unsure when we will hear from LFL, maybe at D23.
While it hasn't been confirmed yet, I think it's more of rumor. Once Variety stated that it had managed to "confirm" a television series, it sealed the deal for me. It's one thing that various sites are claiming this and that, but when a reputable trade magazine weighs in...
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Mags, I have no doubt that Obi Wan is back. The rumour I talk of is, it is more looking like a six part tv series but some are stating Ewan is directing as well. We will have to wait for the OS to advised more.

Then this thread may need to be moved to tv not stand alone movies.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: August 19th, 2019, 9:20 am Mags, I have no doubt that Obi Wan is back. The rumour I talk of is, it is more looking like a six part tv series but some are stating Ewan is directing as well. We will have to wait for the OS to advised more.

Then this thread may need to be moved to tv not stand alone movies.
Ah yes, that's indeed a rumor! :)
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

It has been offically confirmed that Ewan McGregor returns as Obi-Wan in a live-action series on Disney+

StarWars on Twitter
Siamese Sith

Re: The Obi-Wan Kenobi series

Post by Siamese Sith »

Based on the timeline Luke should be about 7 years old. And Maul is around building the Crimson Dawn Syndicate, and Darth Vader is out there terrorizing the galaxy in the name of the Empire. Ahsoka, and Kaleb Dume are out there somewhere also! Interesting time....
Attachments
ADB3401D-EEC1-4EE0-B48A-EC03DE2F75F0.jpeg
ADB3401D-EEC1-4EE0-B48A-EC03DE2F75F0.jpeg (43.8 KiB) Viewed 88097 times
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: September 4th, 2019, 4:19 pm Based on the timeline Luke should be about 7 years old. And Maul is around building the Crimson Dawn Syndicate, and Darth Vader is out there terrorizing the galaxy in the name of the Empire. Ahsoka, and Kaleb Dume are out there somewhere also! Interesting time....
It's set eight years after ROTS, but other than that...
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Here are my percentages of likelihood of seeing below characters in the Kenobi D+ series.
Maul <5%
Darth Vader 50%
Ahsoka Tano < 30%
Asajj Ventress 40%
Qi’ra 60%
Dryden Vos >70%
Captain Rex 50%
Boba Fett >80%
Jabba the Hutt >80%
Qui Gon Jinn <30%
Bo Katan <10%
Saw Gerrera <10%
Mon Mothma <10%
Tusken Raiders 100%
Jawa’s 100%
Owen and Beru Lars 100%
Kanan Jarrus <10%
Zeb <10%
Hera Syndulla<10%
Hondo Ohnaka <30%
Wuher 20%
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Siamese Sith wrote: September 6th, 2019, 1:40 pm Here are my percentages of likelihood of seeing below characters in the Kenobi D+ series.
Maul <5%
You must not have seen Solo to give this percentage for Maul. I think he maybe Obi Wan's enemy. There is a high opportunity for a cross over of some of the Solo cast especially since they are set in the same time period.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

I saw solo but for them to run into each other it would have to be off world. At this point Maul doesn’t even know about Tatooine.he discovers Tatooine through the vision he receives by combining the Sith and Jedi holocrons in SWR.