Last Movie Watched

Movies, books, television, sports, and games.
Jjm3233

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Jjm3233 »

Spiderman: Homecoming - A- - A funny, high school based Peter Parker tale. My teens liked it more than I did. To me it felt the most like "Spiderman" since early Tobey Maguire.

Dunkirk - A - A fast paced war movie. I really need to see it again.
toVor

Post by toVor »

Wonder Woman. Pretty good, but it didn't blow me away like I'd been hearing people raving about. But still, it was pretty good.

Collateral Beauty. Holy box of Kleenex, Batman. This one was fantastic. And what a tear-jerker. Whoa. If this one doesn't yank on the old heart strings, you don't have a heart.
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Planet of the Apes (1968). B
Rollafett

Post by Rollafett »

The Lobster

Hmmmm....easily one of the strangest films I've ever seen. I really dug it, but was taken aback at how twisted it got at several points. The story pretty much lends itself to that, I suppose, but it still rightly shocked more than once. I also was expecting a bit more humor, but that was ok. The humor it did have delivered quite well.

4/5 stars
"All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi."
Jjm3233

Post by Jjm3233 »

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - B+
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Alien: Covenant. What. A. Steaming. Piece. Of. Sith. Came very close to being frisbeed into the backyard.
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

IT (2017) - B
I enjoyed it. Not really scary per se but that's not exactly the point of the story. Kids were all good and meshed well together. Pennywise was good - very different from the Tim Curry version which was to be expected.

Looking forward to the sequel to finish out the story.
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Alien: Covenant - B

The dumb people are a little less dumb then they were in Prometheus. Not the best of the franchise, but far from the worst. I am biased because I was mostly just happy to see a xenomorph again.
Javen

Post by Javen »

I've watched alot of movies latley.

King Kong:Skull Island - It was different which was fresh for a change and I liked it

Alien Covenant - I liked Prometheus and it had its moments, but that doesn't mean it wasn't flawed and the same goes for Covenant. I liked it a bit more than Prometheus. Not sure what people are exactly expecting because it is about origins among other things, so even though they aren't great as the original Alien and Aliens;they sure aren't as bad as those crap movies such as;Alien vs Predator for example.

CHips - Man this movie was bad. Had a few funny dialogue moments but over it was so disjointed

Fate and the Furious - This movie as well as the one's leading up to this one is just getting sillier to the point of parody.

Snatched with Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn - I thought it was funny and a crazy adventure. Come on it's Goldie Hawn...

A Dog's Purpose - Man this movie almost made me have dust in my eyes. If you like dogs I think you will enjoy this movie. Seriously

Sleepless starring Jaimie Foxx - I like Jaimie Foxx and this was an ok movie. Pretty intense but felt flat or something.

Baby Driver - I went to the theater to see this one awhile back. Starring Kevin Spacey, this movie is so high on speed and gets your adrenalin pumping. It's a very fun and different type of movie where you root for the main guy at all costs. For sure an A.
Jjm3233

Post by Jjm3233 »

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - A

Took the kids to see the 40th anniversary showing. I have to say its been a while since I had watched the theatrical cut. I have to say the pacing is better than the Special Edition, and the Director's Cut. Also, it was beautiful on the big screen.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Blade Runner 2049 - A-

It gets a minus only for being almost 3 hours long. Otherwise it was a fantastic, absolutely gorgeous movie that holds up as one of the greatest sequels ever made.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Sand Castle (2017). On and by Netflix. A decent, but anti-climatic, war movie. C
toVor

Post by toVor »

Thor: Ragnork or however you spell it.

Meh. I was very disappointed. Thor was pretty much my favorite Avenger and I enjoyed the first 2 Thor films, but this one felt very different. First I'll say that the first 5 minutes were downright fantastic. But then it dragged on and got too goofy for me. I didn't care for Jeff Goldblum's villain even though I enjoy the actor so much. There were a lot of laughs, it was a funny movie with legit humor, but the first half was a let down to me. However, the final third of the film was very enjoyable. I loved the final battle. Yet overall it did not entertain me as the first two movies did. Yet again I will say that Hulk saved the movie, that it began to get so-so good once our smashing friend was brought into the narrative.

My two favorite scenes both recalled one of my all time Led Zeppelin songs, which carried those scenes perfectly.

I don't know...2/5, or maybe 2.5/5? Perhaps 3/5 once Hulk showed up.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

toVor wrote: November 16th, 2017, 9:08 pm Thor: Ragnork or however you spell it.

Meh. I was very disappointed. Thor was pretty much my favorite Avenger and I enjoyed the first 2 Thor films, but this one felt very different. First I'll say that the first 5 minutes were downright fantastic. But then it dragged on and got too goofy for me. I didn't care for Jeff Goldblum's villain even though I enjoy the actor so much. There were a lot of laughs, it was a funny movie with legit humor, but the first half was a let down to me. However, the final third of the film was very enjoyable.
It seems to be getting great reviews, but I also continually hear how its so funny, so maybe that's largely would people are basing it on. I haven't seen it yet, and don't know that I will at the theater. I'm not as much of a Marvel guy, and this just didn't grab me with the trailers and characters as much.
My two favorite scenes both recalled one of my all time Led Zeppelin songs, which carried those scenes perfectly.
I hope when you see JL that the song "Come Together" isn't you're favorite thing about it.

I saw Justice League last night, and quite enjoyed it. Rough around the edges as a film, but I'd say its a crowd-pleaser (if people will actually get to the theater and not be scared away by reviews). I thought the casting for all the JL members was great and that they all did well with their scenes/performances. Good humor, solid action. Not the best flow right out of the gates, but by middle section of the movie, it felt like they found their footing and I generally liked the pacing from there through the end. Couple great scenes mid- and post-credits.

Not stellar, but also not a disaster IMO.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Justice League - 5/10

An improvement over BvS, SS, and MoS but still just a shell of a movie. The CG was laughably bad throughout most of the movie, which is really great when every character in the movie requires CG at some point. Ezra Miller and Jason Momoa are the best parts of the movie. Ben Affleck is still a terrible Batman.

Overall I'm just glad I saw it for free.
Jjm3233

Post by Jjm3233 »

Thor: Ragnarok - A-

A fun movie that takes the overly serious Thor series and gives it heart and laughs.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Alien: Covenant (2017). So-and-so... C
toVor

Post by toVor »

Justice League.
I knew I wanted to see this even despite the complaints and bad reviews so I went in expecting it to be a mess. Well, it had its faults and slow points and a few scenes I didn't care for, but nevertheless I enjoyed it a lot. That's right, I had a good time. I enjoyed all of the JL players and even more so Wonder Woman. Not because she's sexy and gorgeous, but because I really liked her character's personality and involvement with the other heroes.

Spoiler Alert:
I can see where they were trying to go with the three boxes in the story. It certainly hearkened to Marvel's Tesseract and the Infinity Stones. DC did a fairly good job with the three boxes and what they were able. I did not expect the manner of Superman's "resurrection", not at all. I knew he'd come back to life, everybody knew that it would happen in this movie, but the way in which it was accomplished was pretty well done from a story perspective. All paths leading up to it, the way in which it was done, the participants, and their reasons for doing it; I appreciated all of that.

I'm not sure where I rank it. I may need to see it again to be sure, but at least 3.5/5, but not quite 4/5.

I am a solid Avengers fan, and especially Thor. I didn't enjoy JL as much as the first Avengers movie, but I did enjoy it more than Thor 3.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

toVor wrote: November 30th, 2017, 2:09 am Justice League.
I knew I wanted to see this even despite the complaints and bad reviews so I went in expecting it to be a mess. Well, it had its faults and slow points and a few scenes I didn't care for, but nevertheless I enjoyed it a lot. That's right, I had a good time. I enjoyed all of the JL players and even more so Wonder Woman. Not because she's sexy and gorgeous, but because I really liked her character's personality and involvement with the other heroes.
I liked it, too, and have seen it twice. Its too bad that the negative reviews, as well as perception of the previous movies, as kept people away, because I think most comic fans would enjoy it.
**SPOILER**
I can see where they were trying to go with the three boxes in the story. It certainly hearkened to Marvel's Tesseract and the Infinity Stones. DC did a fairly good job with the three boxes and what they were able. I did not expect the manner of Superman's "resurrection", not at all. I knew he'd come back to life, everybody knew that it would happen in this movie, but the way in which it was accomplished was pretty well done from a story perspective. All paths leading up to it, the way in which it was done, the participants, and their reasons for doing it; I appreciated all of that.
The mother boxes actually reminded me more of [spoiler]the rings in LOTR. In fact, the flashback showing Steppenwolf's first attempt at taking Earth seemed heavily inspired by the flashback at the beginning of FOTR. The mother boxes being divided between amazons, atlanteans, and humans sort of like the rings being given to elfs, dwarfs, and man.[/quote]
I am a solid Avengers fan, and especially Thor. I didn't enjoy JL as much as the first Avengers movie, but I did enjoy it more than Thor 3.
I'm more of a DC fan, so JL meant a lot more to me.
Last edited by borgmatrix on December 4th, 2017, 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Javen

Post by Javen »

I watched Justice League and the first 45 minutes I disliked. After that it was really good. Aquaman and The Flash stood out the most for me, but I liked everyone in it. I think Ben is a good Batman. Probably my favorite scenes are

[spoiler]Everything Aquaman, especially when he accidentally sat on Wonder Woman's lasso and told the truth about everyone lol. The flash was awkward and cool at the same time, but the fight in the tunnel or whatever(sorry forgot) was awesome and when they resurrect Superman, also when Superman shows up later in the movie after he's resurrected gave me goosebumps.[/spoiler]

Like I said after about 45 minutes it it gets pretty good and fun. I do want to see it again as soon as it hits Blu Ray

I also seen Thor:Ragnarok - It was pretty good, pretty fun, funny and adventurous.

My favorite scene [spoiler]When Helena asks"What were the God of again?" and Thor proceeds to show her and kicks some ass.[/spoiler]

If I had some criticism of Ragnarok it would only be that it doesn't let emotion linger too long and there are plenty of scenes it could have stayed just a bit in ot to absorb, but overall it rocked. Can't wait to see it again.

On a side note the spoiler tags aren't working...
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Hopefully gonna see Thor Ragnarock tonight with my son.
The last movie I saw in the theaters was Blade Runner 2049, I love the original and felt as a niche/ cult classic it was a complete package. I walked out of the theater absolutely impressed and will absolutely be getting BL2049 on Blu ray!
It's absolutely obvious which movie Ridley was focused on....
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Siamese Sith wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 3:26 pm Hopefully gonna see Thor Ragnarock tonight with my son.
I really liked it, and I'm having a tough time deciding whether I preferred it or GOTG2. Definitely the best of the Thor trilogy (though I know some found it too jokey and almost like a spoof of the previous Thor movies). A little bit too long, but pretty consistently entertaining, good action. Cate Blanchett was great as the villain.
The last movie I saw in the theaters was Blade Runner 2049, I love the original and felt as a niche/ cult classic it was a complete package. I walked out of the theater absolutely impressed and will absolutely be getting BL2049 on Blu ray!
It's absolutely obvious which movie Ridley was focused on....
To what degree was Ridley involved? I found myself thinking it was perhaps fortunate for BR2049 that he did not direct, and maybe to Alien: Covenant's detriment that he was directing. I also liked 2049 a lot. Felt like it captured the aesthetic of the original but with a story I found more involving. I'm also looking forward to its BD release.
toVor

Post by toVor »

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Yes, I felt like I had to start with the full title despite what fans all of us are here, because I wanted to remind myself of what it was that I saw this afternoon.

Yes, I enjoyed it. No, I was not blown away by it. It underwhelmed and fell short where it should not have, but it delighted and surprised in a few scenes where it should have. It had an excellent beginning sequence; I loved some of the opening scenes. But basically the film went in some directions I did not like at all; while it went in other directions I found surprising and some I did like after all. I will see it again, there's no doubt of that, but it didn't leave me utterly thrilled at the end of the film the way that Rogue One did. Or even The Force Awakens.

The first act had some good parts to it, the middle act was drawn out and too long and underwhelming, and the final act was actually quite good in some scenes. But still it remains that despite what I just wrote about the 1st and 3rd acts, the film overall while enjoyable, was a let down for what I was expecting. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

Potentially serious spoilers ahead. Do not read further if you have not seen it yet. Nothing major and no details, but it will set up what to expect:

There were some major deaths And they were confusing only because I don't know what to expect in the next film now. The throne room scene revealed some very big surprises and that scene overall was one of the best parts of the film. Quite thrilling and action packed, the throne room scene turned out to be. Wow. I really enjoyed that scene.
And what a cameo the film had! That too was one of the best parts of the film.

In other news, some of this was shown already in the trailers, I did NOT like where the story direction took Luke Skywalker. Mark Hamill himself has already stated the same thing in interviews. And I'll just leave it at that.

I don't know how my rating may change after a 2nd and 3rd viewing, if I even see it that many times, but for now while I process this further, my rating stands at 3/5.
Darth Badly Awakens

Post by Darth Badly Awakens »

The Last Jedi.

The strangest of the Star Wars films for me.

I need to see it again.
DblDwn

Post by DblDwn »

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - B

Entertaining action flick but not as entertaining or good as MI1, MI3 or MI4. MI2 is still bantha fodder though.
toVor

Post by toVor »

Darth Badly Awakens wrote: December 20th, 2017, 4:15 am The Last Jedi.

I need to see it again.
Your very first post on this board, or rather the prior version of this board, was to express your hatred of Episode II and I as well. Now this one you say you need to see it again? Did you like it old man, or not sure?
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

The last movie I saw is still The Last Jedi. In short, I didn't like it very much. Strange character choices, awful plot, stupidities, disjointed, doesn't mesh with TFA, some of the worst alien designs and animatronics of Star Wars, terrible so-called "humor"and changing the rules. But it has Porgs! :) D+
Darth Badly Awakens

Post by Darth Badly Awakens »

I don't think I hate it.

I really loved The Force Awakens. I think Rey and Finn are great new characters and I loved having the original three (Luke, Leia, Han) back especially the charm of Han Solo again.

I was hoping to love TLJ as much, but... better take this to a SPOILER thread!

toVor wrote: December 21st, 2017, 3:33 am
Darth Badly Awakens wrote: December 20th, 2017, 4:15 am The Last Jedi.

I need to see it again.
Your very first post on this board, or rather the prior version of this board, was to express your hatred of Episode II and I as well. Now this one you say you need to see it again? Did you like it old man, or not sure?
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

toVor wrote: December 21st, 2017, 3:33 am Your very first post on this board, or rather the prior version of this board, was to express your hatred of Episode II and I as well. Now this one you say you need to see it again? Did you like it old man, or not sure?
Wait...is this really the Darth Badly?
toVor

Post by toVor »

borgmatrix wrote: December 21st, 2017, 9:25 pm
toVor wrote: December 21st, 2017, 3:33 am Your very first post on this board, or rather the prior version of this board, was to express your hatred of Episode II and I as well. Now this one you say you need to see it again? Did you like it old man, or not sure?
Wait...is this really the Darth Badly?
It would appear so.