Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Discuss the non-saga movies here, from Rogue One to Han Solo to other future stand-alone movies.
Post Reply
User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 258
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Master Magnus » August 19th, 2017, 12:58 pm

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Stephen Daldry is in talks to direct an as-of-yet untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi stand-alone movie. It's rumored to be an origin story, dealing with Obi-Wan's life before joining the Jedi Order. While nothing has been officially announced yet, and it might take some time, it does seem pretty solid.

The Hollywood Reporter: 'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Film in the Works (Exclusive)

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 144
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by thepepgal » August 20th, 2017, 11:38 am

It's funny how some media outlets are stating it's official when it isn't yet. The media are speculating about what it will be about. The Hollywood Reporter article mentions there is no script so what the story is about is still open.

I question the origins theory as we already see Obi Wan as a padawan in TPM. It was established that he trained with Qui Gon for 10 years. How much of a story could be from making Obi-Wan being younger is questionable.

With the Rebels series showing that Obi Wan did leave Tatooine between Ep 3 & 4, would give greater credence to a movie in this time period. Also Ewan has always expressed a desire to return to playing the character. Many female fans do like staring at him so another reason for Disney to milk this idea.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

Darth Bangkok
Posts: 30
Joined: March 29th, 2017, 6:07 am

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Darth Bangkok » September 28th, 2017, 8:41 am

I'm not interested in the Han Solo movie or a Boba Fett one, but this one or perhaps a Yoda movie I might be interested in depending on what it covers.

In general though, I'm not interested in one offs about a specific character. That can be dealt with in books. I'd rather have the side stories like in Rogue One if we are going to have one-offs.

User avatar
Master Shrive
Posts: 13
Joined: March 27th, 2017, 11:29 pm

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Master Shrive » October 10th, 2017, 2:55 am

This is probably the stand alone movie I'd be most looking forward to. However, I think they have the perfect chance to use Ewan. So if they do an "origins" story, I'd still want to see one set between 3 and 4.

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 144
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by thepepgal » April 21st, 2018, 5:23 pm

Early in Disney's announcement they were having 3 stand alone movies and now they have 6 in development. Since Solo is just over a month away, there has been little talk of what the last of the originals stand alone. I wonder if this idea for a Obi Wan has been abandoned by Disney or if it is being developed by either Johnson or Benioff and Weiss into a trilogy. There would be enough of a time space to develop 3 on Obi Wan. He is a popular character. Ewan has stated he would like to return to the character.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 258
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Master Magnus » April 22nd, 2018, 1:43 pm

thepepgal wrote:
April 21st, 2018, 5:23 pm
Early in Disney's announcement they were having 3 stand alone movies and now they have 6 in development. Since Solo is just over a month away, there has been little talk of what the last of the originals stand alone. I wonder if this idea for a Obi Wan has been abandoned by Disney or if it is being developed by either Johnson or Benioff and Weiss into a trilogy. There would be enough of a time space to develop 3 on Obi Wan. He is a popular character. Ewan has stated he would like to return to the character.
I don't think there would be enough material to fill a trilogy, especially if Ewan was to be in it. I think it'll be a single stand-alone movie (if it happens). But we just have to wait and see what Johnson's trilogy and the movies that Benioff and Weiss will develop will be about.

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 144
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by thepepgal » May 11th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Ewan McGregor was spotted on the Solo red carpet.

Rumors are spreading the Kenobi film will commence shooting in January 2019 for a 2020 release.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 258
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Master Magnus » May 17th, 2018, 9:59 am

TMZ has a rumored director and synopsis: TMZ

User avatar
borgmatrix
Posts: 121
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by borgmatrix » May 25th, 2018, 10:54 am

thepepgal wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 5:43 pm
Ewan McGregor was spotted on the Solo red carpet.

Rumors are spreading the Kenobi film will commence shooting in January 2019 for a 2020 release.
And is it the expectation it'll likely be Ewan in the role? I know its seems like a no-brainer, but I'm worried about them going with someone else.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 258
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Master Magnus » May 25th, 2018, 12:01 pm

borgmatrix wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 10:54 am
thepepgal wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 5:43 pm
Ewan McGregor was spotted on the Solo red carpet.

Rumors are spreading the Kenobi film will commence shooting in January 2019 for a 2020 release.
And is it the expectation it'll likely be Ewan in the role? I know its seems like a no-brainer, but I'm worried about them going with someone else.
With the news of the Boba movie, I think this is dead for now.

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 144
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by thepepgal » May 25th, 2018, 4:26 pm

I think this is still very much alive but I'd have give spoilers to explain.

Also remember there are 7 films in development and announced by LFL so they all need a main character.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

User avatar
borgmatrix
Posts: 121
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by borgmatrix » May 29th, 2018, 8:33 am

thepepgal wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 4:26 pm
I think this is still very much alive but I'd have give spoilers to explain.
Yeah, I'll second this. I'm sure you're thinking about the same thing I am, and it's hard for me to envision them missing the opportunity.

Post Reply