Page 3 of 3

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: February 6th, 2018, 1:15 am
by Master Magnus
Lord Tesla wrote:
February 5th, 2018, 1:38 pm
Master Magnus wrote:
February 5th, 2018, 11:20 am
I don't like the look of the actor playing Han Solo.
Ah, yes: Sham Faux-lo.
Yes, and he looks too old.
Lord Tesla wrote:But it it just me, or is Maz Kanata briefly visible in the second trailer? Manning a gun turret.
No, I thought so too.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: February 6th, 2018, 4:07 am
by Zapp Brannigan
toVor wrote:
February 5th, 2018, 3:35 pm
Okay...I'll see it because it's Star Wars, but I'm still not blown away. I hope that this is more impressive when I see the full movie. But again,. it's Star Wars so I'll see it but Idon't think that this film was necessary. Han's introduction in ANH was perfect as is. Unlike Rogue One which actually had a lot to add to the saga as a whole and fit in well in the chronological films (new viewers should absolutely watch R1 prior to ANH), this film still seems like an aside to the saga and though it may turn out to be a fun ride I still don't think it has a suitable place within the saga as a whole.
I Agree 100%. I'll go see a Han Solo movie, in fact, after TLJ I'm looking forward to this one more than Ep.9. So hopefully its good. Even if it is though it just kind of seems to me to be unnecessary. Han is in my top 3 favorite star wars characters so its cool to have him as the sole focus of a movie but... we already have three movies where his character is thoroughly explored. If they are going to start doing movies based on one character, I'd prefer they do characters that received little to no screen time. But not Boba Fett because f :w00t: Boba Fett.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: February 7th, 2018, 10:48 pm
by toVor
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
February 6th, 2018, 4:07 am
toVor wrote:
February 5th, 2018, 3:35 pm
Okay...I'll see it because it's Star Wars, but I'm still not blown away. I hope that this is more impressive when I see the full movie. But again,. it's Star Wars so I'll see it but Idon't think that this film was necessary. Han's introduction in ANH was perfect as is. Unlike Rogue One which actually had a lot to add to the saga as a whole and fit in well in the chronological films (new viewers should absolutely watch R1 prior to ANH), this film still seems like an aside to the saga and though it may turn out to be a fun ride I still don't think it has a suitable place within the saga as a whole.
I Agree 100%. I'll go see a Han Solo movie, in fact, after TLJ I'm looking forward to this one more than Ep.9. So hopefully its good. Even if it is though it just kind of seems to me to be unnecessary. Han is in my top 3 favorite star wars characters so its cool to have him as the sole focus of a movie but... we already have three movies where his character is thoroughly explored. If they are going to start doing movies based on one character, I'd prefer they do characters that received little to no screen time. But not Boba Fett because f :w00t: Boba Fett.
Even though TLJ was a big letdown, TFA was still very good. With that said, I think I'm still more looking forward to Episode 9 to see how it all ends. However, I have to say that the (re)-introduction of the Falcon in TFA was one of the most exciting moments in that already exciting film and a true moment that made it feel like a SW film after all to me (that and of course the "Chewie, we're home" scene) so even though I'm not sold on the actor playing Han, the prominent presence of the Falcon in this film will hopefully bring me home again too.



Hey Vibroblade, I think it was you who once referred to the Millennium Falcon as practically another character of the original trilogy, a setting with a life of its own. Do I hear an "amen"?

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: February 7th, 2018, 10:50 pm
by toVor
Master Magnus wrote:
February 6th, 2018, 1:15 am
Lord Tesla wrote:But it it just me, or is Maz Kanata briefly visible in the second trailer? Manning a gun turret.
No, I thought so too.
I'm pretty sure it was indeed her. Nice continuity with her relationship with Han in TFA.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: February 8th, 2018, 5:38 pm
by Zapp Brannigan
toVor wrote:
February 7th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Even though TLJ was a big letdown, TFA was still very good. With that said, I think I'm still more looking forward to Episode 9 to see how it all ends. However, I have to say that the (re)-introduction of the Falcon in TFA was one of the most exciting moments in that already exciting film and a true moment that made it feel like a SW film after all to me (that and of course the "Chewie, we're home" scene) so even though I'm not sold on the actor playing Han, the prominent presence of the Falcon in this film will hopefully bring me home again too.
Yeah, TLJ honestly just killed the new trilogy for me. After seeing TFA I was like, "eh... ok, let's see where their going with this". After TLJ, for me it turned into, "Yeah, ok. Whatever." Not gonna lie and say I'm not gonna watch it, but I may not go see it in the theaters.

Anyways, my bad that was kinda off topic. So I have a question for you and anybody else who wants to answer: Who would you have play Han if you could pick anyone (other than Harrison Ford)? I tried to think of one, but honestly couldn't, because I think that fans will be disappointed no matter who they select for the part. In fact, when I first heard of this movie, the first thing I said was, "Man, I kinda feel bad for whoever is gonna be Han. I can already feel the hate flowing through the fan base." To me, Harrison Ford is Han Solo. You can be the best actor in the world, but his performance as Han can't be replicated. In light of that, I am going to try my best to give this guy a break. I'm trying to view Han Solo in this movie as almost a "new" character, like when they switch actors for James Bond. I know that's kinda like comparing apples to oranges, but its the way I'm looking at it.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: February 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm
by toVor
That's an interesting point of view, Zapp, when you think about it. We've had changes in Bond, Batman, Superman, Obi-Wan, and we've accepted them all for the most part. But yet it seems so much harder with Star Wars.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: February 25th, 2018, 3:04 pm
by Master Kinnon
Looking forward to this, and from what they’ve shown us, it’s going to be exciting.

Just on a slightly seperate note, TLJ was infinitely better than TFA IMHO.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: March 23rd, 2018, 2:50 am
by bango31
toVor wrote:
February 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm
That's an interesting point of view, Zapp, when you think about it. We've had changes in Bond, Batman, Superman, Obi-Wan, and we've accepted them all for the most part. But yet it seems so much harder with Star Wars.
That's a fair point, but I would argue in regards to the first three, there is such an immense amount of source material and a certain timelessness of the character, so to speak, that it allows for those changes. Batman has had how many writers over the years as far as the comics go, so there are different interpretations of the character. Compare that to Han, who has always just been Han. Sure, the EU and stuff kind of dove into him a bit more, but there was never really a major deviation. I think it would be different if the new trilogy was set in the same general period as the OT, with a whole new cast for the same characters, and they came out and said, "Okay, we've changed the actors but the characters are still the same."

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: March 25th, 2018, 9:02 pm
by Zapp Brannigan
bango31 wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 2:50 am
toVor wrote:
February 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm
That's an interesting point of view, Zapp, when you think about it. We've had changes in Bond, Batman, Superman, Obi-Wan, and we've accepted them all for the most part. But yet it seems so much harder with Star Wars.
That's a fair point, but I would argue in regards to the first three, there is such an immense amount of source material and a certain timelessness of the character, so to speak, that it allows for those changes. Batman has had how many writers over the years as far as the comics go, so there are different interpretations of the character. Compare that to Han, who has always just been Han. Sure, the EU and stuff kind of dove into him a bit more, but there was never really a major deviation. I think it would be different if the new trilogy was set in the same general period as the OT, with a whole new cast for the same characters, and they came out and said, "Okay, we've changed the actors but the characters are still the same."
I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree. It isn't exactly the same as those. I'm not particularly stoked that they cast a new Han for the spin off, but I'm gonna give this dude a chance. There's no way he upstages Harrison Ford's portrayal, that's why I prefer to think of it as a "new take" on the character.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 9th, 2018, 2:34 pm
by thepepgal
New trailer dropped today and it is the trailer the public was looking for. far more interesting the than the teaser. Makes Solo look more like the character we know.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 9th, 2018, 3:16 pm
by Siamese Sith
Ok, the trailer that dropped last night was good. Donald Glover still the best thing in this movie based on these trailers! Val should be Sana!

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 10th, 2018, 6:04 pm
by bango31
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
March 25th, 2018, 9:02 pm
bango31 wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 2:50 am
toVor wrote:
February 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm
That's an interesting point of view, Zapp, when you think about it. We've had changes in Bond, Batman, Superman, Obi-Wan, and we've accepted them all for the most part. But yet it seems so much harder with Star Wars.
That's a fair point, but I would argue in regards to the first three, there is such an immense amount of source material and a certain timelessness of the character, so to speak, that it allows for those changes. Batman has had how many writers over the years as far as the comics go, so there are different interpretations of the character. Compare that to Han, who has always just been Han. Sure, the EU and stuff kind of dove into him a bit more, but there was never really a major deviation. I think it would be different if the new trilogy was set in the same general period as the OT, with a whole new cast for the same characters, and they came out and said, "Okay, we've changed the actors but the characters are still the same."
I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree. It isn't exactly the same as those. I'm not particularly stoked that they cast a new Han for the spin off, but I'm gonna give this dude a chance. There's no way he upstages Harrison Ford's portrayal, that's why I prefer to think of it as a "new take" on the character.
Right on dude. I'm with you; I want to give him a chance and will not be one of those "HARRISON IS THE ONLY HAN!" people. Let's see what he's got.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 24th, 2018, 1:06 pm
by Master Magnus
Alden Ehrenreich is signed up to play Han Solo in three movies (though they need not be filmed of course): Vanity Fair

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 24th, 2018, 6:27 pm
by thepepgal
Alden may be signed for 3 films but that doesn't meant he will be the lead in the next two. The films could focus on another character and Solo be a supporting character.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 4th, 2018, 8:39 pm
by thepepgal
Bought my ticket to the movie. Now the countdown to 24 May becomes real.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 5th, 2018, 3:29 am
by Master Magnus
Not to be a downer, but I will probably not watch this in theater. I'm not very interested in this film with the square-faced guy playing what based on its trailers and TV-spots seems to be a generic "bad boy" in a generic and formulaic plot.

The "190-years old" line from the trailer and TV-spot was amusing though.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 16th, 2018, 5:01 am
by Master Magnus
Harsh words for Solo in Slate's review: Slate

A more positive review from the San Fransisco Chronicle.

World of Reel calls Solo the worst Star Wars movie ever released: World of Reel

Mixed reviews in other words.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 16th, 2018, 4:28 pm
by thepepgal
One week out from Aussie release and my friend and I are still the only tickets sold in the session we booked. I go Gold Class which is recliner chairs and only 38 seats in the cinema. This time for TLJ the cinema was fully booked out. So Mags you aren't the only Star Wars fan not interested in seeing this film.

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 18th, 2018, 4:28 pm
by thepepgal
Here is the review from Oz and it was given 3.5 out of 5.

Warning there are spoilers in this link:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertain ... 38c37d0856

This is the link to the no spoilers review:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertain ... c1294cdb68

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 19th, 2018, 7:38 am
by Master Magnus
thepepgal wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 4:28 pm
One week out from Aussie release and my friend and I are still the only tickets sold in the session we booked. I go Gold Class which is recliner chairs and only 38 seats in the cinema. This time for TLJ the cinema was fully booked out. So Mags you aren't the only Star Wars fan not interested in seeing this film.
While I like Ron Howard, I can understand why.

Read a few Swedish reviews (there aren't many yet) as I was a bit curious. Sveriges Television (Swedish Public Service television) called it "dead", "plastic" and "as forgettable as a toy from McDonald's". The reviewer also wrote that Ehrenreich "can't even in your wildest imagination grow up to become Harrison Ford": SVT

The Swedish evening paper Aftonbladet wrote that it's "sometimes spectacular", but also "predictable, repetitive space action". Ehrenreich is described as "bland" and "lacking the burly charm Harrison Ford injected into the character". Aftonbladet rated it 2/5: Aftonbladet

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 19th, 2018, 2:58 pm
by Siamese Sith
I watch Collider alot and their reviews linger on words like: "fun", "forgettable, "good"....but read between the lines and these are not selling me on seeing this.
https://youtu.be/pwj_SZHqiSc

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 23rd, 2018, 1:30 am
by Master Magnus
Siamese Sith wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 2:58 pm
I watch Collider alot and their reviews linger on words like: "fun", "forgettable, "good"....but read between the lines and these are not selling me on seeing this.
https://youtu.be/pwj_SZHqiSc
It opens here in Sweden today and it's the first SW movie I'm not eager to watch. I'm more indifferent than anything else