Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss the non-saga movies here, from Rogue One to Han Solo to other future stand-alone movies.
Master Magnus

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » February 6th, 2018, 1:15 am

Lord Tesla wrote:
February 5th, 2018, 1:38 pm
Master Magnus wrote:
February 5th, 2018, 11:20 am
I don't like the look of the actor playing Han Solo.
Ah, yes: Sham Faux-lo.
Yes, and he looks too old.
Lord Tesla wrote:But it it just me, or is Maz Kanata briefly visible in the second trailer? Manning a gun turret.
No, I thought so too.

Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan » February 6th, 2018, 4:07 am

toVor wrote:
February 5th, 2018, 3:35 pm
Okay...I'll see it because it's Star Wars, but I'm still not blown away. I hope that this is more impressive when I see the full movie. But again,. it's Star Wars so I'll see it but Idon't think that this film was necessary. Han's introduction in ANH was perfect as is. Unlike Rogue One which actually had a lot to add to the saga as a whole and fit in well in the chronological films (new viewers should absolutely watch R1 prior to ANH), this film still seems like an aside to the saga and though it may turn out to be a fun ride I still don't think it has a suitable place within the saga as a whole.
I Agree 100%. I'll go see a Han Solo movie, in fact, after TLJ I'm looking forward to this one more than Ep.9. So hopefully its good. Even if it is though it just kind of seems to me to be unnecessary. Han is in my top 3 favorite star wars characters so its cool to have him as the sole focus of a movie but... we already have three movies where his character is thoroughly explored. If they are going to start doing movies based on one character, I'd prefer they do characters that received little to no screen time. But not Boba Fett because f :w00t: Boba Fett.
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:

toVor

Post by toVor » February 7th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
February 6th, 2018, 4:07 am
toVor wrote:
February 5th, 2018, 3:35 pm
Okay...I'll see it because it's Star Wars, but I'm still not blown away. I hope that this is more impressive when I see the full movie. But again,. it's Star Wars so I'll see it but Idon't think that this film was necessary. Han's introduction in ANH was perfect as is. Unlike Rogue One which actually had a lot to add to the saga as a whole and fit in well in the chronological films (new viewers should absolutely watch R1 prior to ANH), this film still seems like an aside to the saga and though it may turn out to be a fun ride I still don't think it has a suitable place within the saga as a whole.
I Agree 100%. I'll go see a Han Solo movie, in fact, after TLJ I'm looking forward to this one more than Ep.9. So hopefully its good. Even if it is though it just kind of seems to me to be unnecessary. Han is in my top 3 favorite star wars characters so its cool to have him as the sole focus of a movie but... we already have three movies where his character is thoroughly explored. If they are going to start doing movies based on one character, I'd prefer they do characters that received little to no screen time. But not Boba Fett because f :w00t: Boba Fett.
Even though TLJ was a big letdown, TFA was still very good. With that said, I think I'm still more looking forward to Episode 9 to see how it all ends. However, I have to say that the (re)-introduction of the Falcon in TFA was one of the most exciting moments in that already exciting film and a true moment that made it feel like a SW film after all to me (that and of course the "Chewie, we're home" scene) so even though I'm not sold on the actor playing Han, the prominent presence of the Falcon in this film will hopefully bring me home again too.

Hey Vibroblade, I think it was you who once referred to the Millennium Falcon as practically another character of the original trilogy, a setting with a life of its own. Do I hear an "amen"?
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

toVor

Post by toVor » February 7th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Master Magnus wrote:
February 6th, 2018, 1:15 am
Lord Tesla wrote:But it it just me, or is Maz Kanata briefly visible in the second trailer? Manning a gun turret.
No, I thought so too.
I'm pretty sure it was indeed her. Nice continuity with her relationship with Han in TFA.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan » February 8th, 2018, 5:38 pm

toVor wrote:
February 7th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Even though TLJ was a big letdown, TFA was still very good. With that said, I think I'm still more looking forward to Episode 9 to see how it all ends. However, I have to say that the (re)-introduction of the Falcon in TFA was one of the most exciting moments in that already exciting film and a true moment that made it feel like a SW film after all to me (that and of course the "Chewie, we're home" scene) so even though I'm not sold on the actor playing Han, the prominent presence of the Falcon in this film will hopefully bring me home again too.
Yeah, TLJ honestly just killed the new trilogy for me. After seeing TFA I was like, "eh... ok, let's see where their going with this". After TLJ, for me it turned into, "Yeah, ok. Whatever." Not gonna lie and say I'm not gonna watch it, but I may not go see it in the theaters.

Anyways, my bad that was kinda off topic. So I have a question for you and anybody else who wants to answer: Who would you have play Han if you could pick anyone (other than Harrison Ford)? I tried to think of one, but honestly couldn't, because I think that fans will be disappointed no matter who they select for the part. In fact, when I first heard of this movie, the first thing I said was, "Man, I kinda feel bad for whoever is gonna be Han. I can already feel the hate flowing through the fan base." To me, Harrison Ford is Han Solo. You can be the best actor in the world, but his performance as Han can't be replicated. In light of that, I am going to try my best to give this guy a break. I'm trying to view Han Solo in this movie as almost a "new" character, like when they switch actors for James Bond. I know that's kinda like comparing apples to oranges, but its the way I'm looking at it.

toVor

Post by toVor » February 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm

That's an interesting point of view, Zapp, when you think about it. We've had changes in Bond, Batman, Superman, Obi-Wan, and we've accepted them all for the most part. But yet it seems so much harder with Star Wars.

Master Kinnon

Post by Master Kinnon » February 25th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Looking forward to this, and from what they’ve shown us, it’s going to be exciting.

Just on a slightly seperate note, TLJ was infinitely better than TFA IMHO.

bango31

Post by bango31 » March 23rd, 2018, 2:50 am

toVor wrote:
February 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm
That's an interesting point of view, Zapp, when you think about it. We've had changes in Bond, Batman, Superman, Obi-Wan, and we've accepted them all for the most part. But yet it seems so much harder with Star Wars.
That's a fair point, but I would argue in regards to the first three, there is such an immense amount of source material and a certain timelessness of the character, so to speak, that it allows for those changes. Batman has had how many writers over the years as far as the comics go, so there are different interpretations of the character. Compare that to Han, who has always just been Han. Sure, the EU and stuff kind of dove into him a bit more, but there was never really a major deviation. I think it would be different if the new trilogy was set in the same general period as the OT, with a whole new cast for the same characters, and they came out and said, "Okay, we've changed the actors but the characters are still the same."
I want to be Grand Admiral Thrawn when I grow up.

Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan » March 25th, 2018, 9:02 pm

bango31 wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 2:50 am
toVor wrote:
That's a fair point, but I would argue in regards to the first three, there is such an immense amount of source material and a certain timelessness of the character, so to speak, that it allows for those changes. Batman has had how many writers over the years as far as the comics go, so there are different interpretations of the character. Compare that to Han, who has always just been Han. Sure, the EU and stuff kind of dove into him a bit more, but there was never really a major deviation. I think it would be different if the new trilogy was set in the same general period as the OT, with a whole new cast for the same characters, and they came out and said, "Okay, we've changed the actors but the characters are still the same."
I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree. It isn't exactly the same as those. I'm not particularly stoked that they cast a new Han for the spin off, but I'm gonna give this dude a chance. There's no way he upstages Harrison Ford's portrayal, that's why I prefer to think of it as a "new take" on the character.

thepepgal

Post by thepepgal » April 9th, 2018, 2:34 pm

New trailer dropped today and it is the trailer the public was looking for. far more interesting the than the teaser. Makes Solo look more like the character we know.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith » April 9th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Ok, the trailer that dropped last night was good. Donald Glover still the best thing in this movie based on these trailers! Val should be Sana!

bango31

Post by bango31 » April 10th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
March 25th, 2018, 9:02 pm
bango31 wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 2:50 am
toVor wrote:
I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree. It isn't exactly the same as those. I'm not particularly stoked that they cast a new Han for the spin off, but I'm gonna give this dude a chance. There's no way he upstages Harrison Ford's portrayal, that's why I prefer to think of it as a "new take" on the character.
Right on dude. I'm with you; I want to give him a chance and will not be one of those "HARRISON IS THE ONLY HAN!" people. Let's see what he's got.
I want to be Grand Admiral Thrawn when I grow up.