Ren from Ran?

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
Lord Tesla

Ren from Ran?

Post by Lord Tesla »

I have to confess I haven't done much reading or viewing concerning the creation of TFA since the film opened, so maybe this has already been addressed somewhere, in which case excuse me repeating the topic.

That said, has anyone else thought that the name "Ren" might be derived from the Japanese ran which can mean "war," "riot," or "rebellion"--and which I have even seen rendered as "chaos," in reference to Akira Kurosawa's film of the same name?

It fits.
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Lord Tesla

Re: Ren from Ran?

Post by Lord Tesla »

Hmmm. Guess no one has...

Okay.
Lord Tesla
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

It makes sense, especially considering how influential Hidden Fortress was on ANH.
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Could be, but I thought Disney decided to trash all of Lucas's ideas about the ST and go their own way.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Darth Bangkok wrote: August 24th, 2017, 4:11 am Could be, but I thought Disney decided to trash all of Lucas's ideas about the ST and go their own way.
They can't completely scrap his ideas, since I would imagine, no matter whether they were worth anything or not, they were rooted in existing saga, which is going to push matters along a given path, to a certain extent. Even so, it never occurred to me that it might have originated with Lucas: anyone thinking about the films and looking to make new names for new characters or concepts might have come upon that association.
Lord Tesla