Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
DblDwn

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by DblDwn »

JJ should have just agreed to do the entire sequel trilogy. That way we get three movies per one person's primary vision. Now we have JJ doing TFA and creating a direction, then Johnson doing TLJ and taking the direction of his choosing for those characters/storylines, and now bringing JJ back to conclude the trilogy the way he began it. Which is fine and all but how much of Johnson's direction diverted from JJ's?

Spoilers for TLJ to follow;

Did JJ intend for Snoke to die this soon? Did JJ intend for Luke to die this soon? Did JJ intend for Finn to be emotionally connected to a new useless character despite his still being emotionally connected to Rey? Did JJ intend for Phasma to be underdeveloped and, therefore, discredited as an intergalactic bada$$? Did JJ intend for Leia to be so powerful through the Force that she can diverge from the laws of physics, space, body temperature, and respiration? Did JJ intend for Ackbar to be killed in a blur and only referenced as such in passing?

He created this new mythos in TFA and then handed it over to Johnson and now is coming back to conclude it. Why not just agree to do the entire ST from the onset, thereby eliminating anyone else controlling the direction that his mythos went, and ensuring that one person, the director/writer, determines that direction?
Javen

Post by Javen »

JJ was a producer on TLJ so he didn't stop it. Disney knew the direction Rian was going and didn't stop it. It's not like they didn't know a thing or JJ either. He knew exactly what he was doing. I loved what Rian did. Did anyone really know anything about the Emperor when he died? No. One should be able to create a new story that is not synced to the old in every way. Star Wars should be way more than about the Skywalkers and their friends and they were upfront about that at the beginning. It wasn't about the big 3. It was about new characters and passing the torch. It needs to evolve. Not so much it isn't Star Wars which this movie is.

Funny thing is did George have a plan of what exactly it would be after ANH? Nope, he sure didn't. ANH was made as a stand alone movie. The Last Jedi is more than the OT. The older characters were meant to be mentors and the new characters solve the problem the older one's can't. They must fail so the new can succeed.

Rian did something different and I'm glad for it. Who cares Snoke died? Snoke needed to die to make Kylo the main guy and go his own as he was stuck being manipulated with Snoke. Phasma dieing? So what? As if Boba Fett was something great. They weren't really needed and as shocking as their deaths were. I won't miss them.
DblDwn

Post by DblDwn »

Fair points, my friend.
Javen

Post by Javen »

I do think JJ has to tie everything together and he himself has said he will tie all three together. Now what that means I have no clue. But looking forward to what he will do.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Javen wrote: December 20th, 2017, 6:47 pm JJ was a producer on TLJ so he didn't stop it. Disney knew the direction Rian was going and didn't stop it. It's not like they didn't know a thing or JJ either. He knew exactly what he was doing. I loved what Rian did. Did anyone really know anything about the Emperor when he died? No. One should be able to create a new story that is not synced to the old in every way. Star Wars should be way more than about the Skywalkers and their friends and they were upfront about that at the beginning. It wasn't about the big 3. It was about new characters and passing the torch. It needs to evolve. Not so much it isn't Star Wars which this movie is.

Funny thing is did George have a plan of what exactly it would be after ANH? Nope, he sure didn't. ANH was made as a stand alone movie. The Last Jedi is more than the OT. The older characters were meant to be mentors and the new characters solve the problem the older one's can't. They must fail so the new can succeed.

Rian did something different and I'm glad for it. Who cares Snoke died? Snoke needed to die to make Kylo the main guy and go his own as he was stuck being manipulated with Snoke. Phasma dieing? So what? As if Boba Fett was something great. They weren't really needed and as shocking as their deaths were. I won't miss them.
Sure seems like you and I are the only two here who actually liked the direction TLJ took with the saga, Javen :lol: :lol: :lol:
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
Javen

Post by Javen »

Kapit wrote: December 21st, 2017, 8:27 am
Javen wrote: December 20th, 2017, 6:47 pm JJ was a producer on TLJ so he didn't stop it. Disney knew the direction Rian was going and didn't stop it. It's not like they didn't know a thing or JJ either. He knew exactly what he was doing. I loved what Rian did. Did anyone really know anything about the Emperor when he died? No. One should be able to create a new story that is not synced to the old in every way. Star Wars should be way more than about the Skywalkers and their friends and they were upfront about that at the beginning. It wasn't about the big 3. It was about new characters and passing the torch. It needs to evolve. Not so much it isn't Star Wars which this movie is.

Sure seems like you and I are the only two here who actually liked the direction TLJ took with the saga, Javen :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doesn't surprise me. Can't even have a decent conversation here like with TFA. Just negativity.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Javen, George did have a plan for what was happening after ANH as the his first script was too large so he split it. This doesn't mean he didn't revise some of the story has he wrote the scripts for ESB and ROTJ. He also wrote a back story as an outline so he knew where his characters came from. ANH is a stand alone as he didn't know it would be a success. GL has said all of this in interviews when reflecting on the OT.

Disney would have a story arc written for the ST prior to the shooting of TFA. These aren't full scripts. Considering LFL have replaced directors and writers who deviate from their master plan proves this.

I found just as much negativity for TFA. I prefer TLJ. I will post my full review in that thread once I've had my second viewing.

The direction for Ep9 has happened after the death of Carrie. Plans to give the big 3 each a film covering their character's conclusion before handing the baton to the next generation now won't happen.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

While I don't think that Lucas had everything planned out (making Leia into Luke's sister sure wasn't thought out until ROTJ), I still think that he tied the movies within the Original Trilogy quite well. The Prequels lacks somewhat in execution, but storywise it's good and ties in well with the OT. With the Sequels, there's no sense of direction and I don't think the two movies mesh (others may disagree of course). There was no overarching plan for the ST and Johnson finished the script before TFA was released (with IX, Abrams pitched the story after the release of TLJ). I don't like Abrams but he has promised to weave the three trilogies together so we'll have to see just what is going to happen.
Momin327

Post by Momin327 »

I liked how Luke referred to Emperor Palpatine as "Darth Sidious", his Sith title from the Prequel Trilogy.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Javen wrote: December 24th, 2017, 9:30 am Doesn't surprise me. Can't even have a decent conversation here like with TFA. Just negativity.
Javen, decent conversations can happen whether people like the movie or not. I didn't like TFA or TLJ, but I still love SW and love talking about them. That's why I'm here. I'm not seeing any problematic discussions here. You responded to DD's post above and he replied that you had fair points, as an example. I'm not seeing any lack of respect anywhere.
toVor

Post by toVor »

I saw TLJ again today. As I expected, now knowing what to expect and not being affected by the letdowns of the first time, I enjoyed it more than I did the first time.

It was a good movie. It was not a great Star Wars movie.
It was a good SW movie, not a great one.
I enjoyed it. I was not blown away by it as I expect to be with a new Star Wars movie.

And there you have it.
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Momin327 wrote: December 27th, 2017, 5:07 pm I liked how Luke referred to Emperor Palpatine as "Darth Sidious", his Sith title from the Prequel Trilogy.
I did, too. That was a nice touch. On the other hand, I found it odd that he referred to a "Jedi" training Darth Vader, not mentioning Ben/Obi-wan by name.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Meryl Streep as Princess Leia? Thanks, but no thanks...

BBC News: Star Wars fans want Meryl Streep to play Princess Leia
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

It's rumored that Billy Dee Williams will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian in Episode IX: Fanthatracks

I do hope that to be true. I guess we'll know soon enough as filming is set to start next month.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: June 18th, 2018, 2:47 pm I do hope that to be true. I guess we'll know soon enough as filming is set to start next month.
Though based on the treatment the OT has gotten thus far in these new Episodes, I'm kind of worried about him.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

borgmatrix wrote: June 20th, 2018, 9:01 am
Master Magnus wrote: June 18th, 2018, 2:47 pm I do hope that to be true. I guess we'll know soon enough as filming is set to start next month.
Though based on the treatment the OT has gotten thus far in these new Episodes, I'm kind of worried about him.
You have a point.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Keri Russell will appear in Episode IX: Variety
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Depending on reports Keri is still in negotiations.

Billy Dee Williams has commenced cancelling convention appearances and is unsure how long he will need. This probably means he will have a bigger appearance than just a cameo. General Lando on the Falcon or reclaiming the Falcon. :wink:
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: July 7th, 2018, 6:19 pm Depending on reports Keri is still in negotiations.

Billy Dee Williams has commenced cancelling convention appearances and is unsure how long he will need. This probably means he will have a bigger appearance than just a cameo. General Lando on the Falcon or reclaiming the Falcon. :wink:
The possibility that he'll do more commercials has also been suggested. But yes, I think it's pretty safe to say that he's in Episode IX.

EDIT: Speak of the little devil: The Hollywood Reporter: 'Star Wars': Billy Dee Williams Reprising Role as Lando Calrissian
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

So, Lucasfilm has announced the cast of Episode IX. Billy Dee Williams is returning as is Mark Hamill and unused footage of Carrie Fisher will be used for Princess Leia.
Lucasfilm wrote:Star Wars: Episode IX Cast Announced
Returning and new cast members will join together for the final installment of the Skywalker saga.

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977’s A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX.

Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan, and executive produced by Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin. The crew includes Dan Mindel (Director of Photography), Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins (Co-Production Designers), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Neal Scanlan (Creature and Droid FX), Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube (Editors), Roger Guyett (VFX Supervisor), Tommy Gormley (1st AD), and Victoria Mahoney (2nd Unit Director).

Release is scheduled for December 2019.
Notably missing is Gwendoline Christie.

StarWars.com
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Considering Phasma fell into a fire ball, I'm not surprised. Someone has to die in the films.

Gwendoline still has the new Resistance tv series to fall back on since GOT is finished this coming year.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

The OS announcement has been updated to include Kerri Russell.

It appears LFL are a little more open on casting. Whether it is the backlash from TLJ or the poor box office of Solo, I think they are trying to tease the old fans back. At least it saves Mark from having to lie about why he is about to grow a beard again.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

First day of filming has begun. JJ posted a pic on Twitter.

Here is the link to the OS:

https://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abram ... episode-ix
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 7:17 am First day of filming has begun. JJ posted a pic on Twitter.

Here is the link to the OS:

https://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abram ... episode-ix
I miss the openness from Lucas's shooting of AOTC and ROTS.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Master Magnus wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 5:31 pm
thepepgal wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 7:17 am First day of filming has begun. JJ posted a pic on Twitter.
So do I Mags. Remember they did shoot both of them in Oz. Maybe our openess rubbed off. You can start a petition to make JJ shoot here. :laugh:
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 7:57 am
Master Magnus wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 5:31 pm
So do I Mags. Remember they did shoot both of them in Oz. Maybe our openess rubbed off. You can start a petition to make JJ shoot here. :laugh:
I will petition for it immediately! Now, where's my pen...
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 5:31 pm I miss the openness from Lucas's shooting of AOTC and ROTS.
I don't mind it. Helps me go in knowing less which is awesome once the movie arrives.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

borgmatrix wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:53 am
Master Magnus wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 5:31 pm I miss the openness from Lucas's shooting of AOTC and ROTS.
I don't mind it. Helps me go in knowing less which is awesome once the movie arrives.
Yet you are here, posting in a spoiler forum... :P Kidding aside, I'm meaning something small, yet tangible.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: August 7th, 2018, 11:10 am Yet you are here, posting in a spoiler forum... :P Kidding aside, I'm meaning something small, yet tangible.
Which proves my point! :lol: I need his mystery box so that I don't find anything big when my weak-willed ass pops into one of these forums.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

borgmatrix wrote: August 7th, 2018, 11:31 am
Master Magnus wrote: August 7th, 2018, 11:10 am Yet you are here, posting in a spoiler forum... :P Kidding aside, I'm meaning something small, yet tangible.
Which proves my point! :lol: I need his mystery box so that I don't find anything big when my weak-willed ass pops into one of these forums.
:D

Apparently, the BB-8 prop started filming today.