Page 2 of 2

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am
by DblDwn
Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 1:01 am
by Master Magnus
RedMirax wrote:
April 14th, 2017, 8:55 pm
My husband thinks it's Kylo saying the Jedi must end. I thought it was Luke.
It sounds as if it's both! The dialogue seems to have been spliced together.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 4:40 am
by Blizzard
RedMirax wrote:
April 14th, 2017, 8:55 pm
My husband thinks it's Kylo saying the Jedi must end. I thought it was Luke.
A friend on FB tried to tell me it wasn't Luke, too. But his mouth moves to the words.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 4:44 am
by Blizzard
They analyze the whole trailer in this video. Verrrrry interesting. My favorite part is that it really does look like Yoda is helping train Rey.
https://youtu.be/7ii2NBGOX58

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 7:53 am
by Master Magnus
DblDwn wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am
Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.
Yes, it appears to be the same (or similar) hangar.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 10:03 am
by thepepgal
I think that by the end of Ep 9 that the Jedi will evolve into something else. The Jedi code will be perceived in holding back their development. This means more like the EU so attachment is allowed, embracing their emotions, etc.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 10:29 am
by Master Magnus
thepepgal wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 10:03 am
I think that by the end of Ep 9 that the Jedi will evolve into something else. The Jedi code will be perceived in holding back their development. This means more like the EU so attachment is allowed, embracing their emotions, etc.
I just hope they won't mess too much with Lucas's mythology...

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 10:59 am
by thepepgal
Master Magnus wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 10:29 am
I just hope they won't mess too much with Lucas's mythology...
They rejected GL ideas for the new trilogy and they have begun to bring in characters from the EU. It's like when Gene Roddenberry died, Paramount felt they had the right to leave Gene's vision behind. When George accepted $4bil for LFL, Disney now believe they have the right to develop the SW universe into what will make it the most money including disregarding the mythology.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 12:03 pm
by RedMirax
Blizzard wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 4:40 am
RedMirax wrote:
April 14th, 2017, 8:55 pm
My husband thinks it's Kylo saying the Jedi must end. I thought it was Luke.
A friend on FB tried to tell me it wasn't Luke, too. But his mouth moves to the words.
That's what I think as well. He thinks they just use a shot of him with Kylo saying the words.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 1:24 pm
by Master Magnus
thepepgal wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 10:59 am
Master Magnus wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 10:29 am
I just hope they won't mess too much with Lucas's mythology...
They rejected GL ideas for the new trilogy and they have begun to bring in characters from the EU. It's like when Gene Roddenberry died, Paramount felt they had the right to leave Gene's vision behind. When George accepted $4bil for LFL, Disney now believe they have the right to develop the SW universe into what will make it the most money including disregarding the mythology.
If so, then it's something I don't like.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 15th, 2017, 11:09 pm
by Vibroblade
I suspect that the basic evolution of the Force has George's approval.

They may have re-written his story outline but that doesn't mean they diregarded everything. The story has had a basic outline for over 40 years. I doubt Kathleen Kennedy is so foolish as to toss ALL of George's ideas out.

In essence, I think story elements will be/have been altered, but the underlying foundation will remain.

It's also worth mentioning that the EU was sanctioned by George. I'm surprised so many believe that those elements in the EU being mentioned did not have George's approval. Also, Qui-Gon was definitely a Lucas creation and he clearly thought the Jedi code was wrong. Finally, Yoda seemed to have many doubt in ROTS.

No, I still have faith that we are getting a version of George's vision. Maybe not HIS version but A version.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 16th, 2017, 7:21 am
by Javen
Even if they rejected GL's ideas they had 4.05 billion reasons they could and can, but they only altered it some.

And the mythology isn't being messed with it seems they're going back to a beginning with the journal of the whills. Yoda, Obi Wan and the council didn't have it right so to speak. They became arrogant and lost their way. Luke is finding the real balance

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 16th, 2017, 11:02 am
by thepepgal
Vibroblade even GL states he sanctioned people playing in his universe but it was never his vision for his characters. Disney are pulling the popular portions of the EU to woo fans.

Javen in a way you are right. It will also comfort you Mags in that Paramount learnt that fans will leave if you stray too far from the mythology.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: April 16th, 2017, 2:49 pm
by Vibroblade
thepepgal wrote:
April 16th, 2017, 11:02 am
Vibroblade even GL states he sanctioned people playing in his universe but it was never his vision for his characters. Disney are pulling the popular portions of the EU to woo fans.

Javen in a way you are right. It will also comfort you Mags in that Paramount learnt that fans will leave if you stray too far from the mythology.

Oh, I don't doubt that the character arcs are being messed with. Of that I'm sure.

I'm simply referring to the belief that the core plot essentials such as the origin/basis of the Force and the basic arc of the Skywalkers is being changed drastically. I bet it isn't.

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 2nd, 2017, 4:08 pm
by Cassus Fett
Master Magnus wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 7:53 am
DblDwn wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am
Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.
Yes, it appears to be the same (or similar) hangar.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The scene with the "skimmers" heading towards the AT-AT's was another one I thought ESB without the snow. I really do hope they don't do an almost copy of it

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 2nd, 2017, 9:08 pm
by Siamese Sith
Cassus Fett wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 4:08 pm
Master Magnus wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 7:53 am
DblDwn wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am
Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.
Yes, it appears to be the same (or similar) hangar.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The scene with the "skimmers" heading towards the AT-AT's was another one I thought ESB without the snow. I really do hope they don't do an almost copy of it
First thing I thought of was pod racing on Boonta Eve....

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm
by Lord Tesla
I was just looking at the trailer again. I don't think anyone's mentioned the books in this thread. If so, and this has already been addressed, well: Never mind. If not, then...

Might those books be the Journal of the Whills?

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 9th, 2017, 6:12 am
by Master Magnus
Lord Tesla wrote:
May 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm
I was just looking at the trailer again. I don't think anyone's mentioned the books in this thread. If so, and this has already been addressed, well: Never mind. If not, then...

Might those books be the Journal of the Whills?
Yes, that is likely (at least some other Jedi literature lost to time).

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 9th, 2017, 3:52 pm
by Lord Tesla
Master Magnus wrote:
May 9th, 2017, 6:12 am
Lord Tesla wrote:
May 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm
I was just looking at the trailer again. I don't think anyone's mentioned the books in this thread. If so, and this has already been addressed, well: Never mind. If not, then...

Might those books be the Journal of the Whills?
Yes, that is likely (at least some other Jedi literature lost to time).
Indeed, but that's rather a large field, no doubt. Ye gads, that could include Obi-Wan Kenobi's recipe for blue milkshakes!


But the thing about the Whills is, they predate the original film. I.e, they have been part of the earliest phase of Lucas's work on Star Wars. The Journal of the Whills was even quoted in the Prologue to Alan Dean Foster's 1976 novelization (ugly word) of A New Hope and in his (ugh) novelization of The Force Awakens (a verse identified as Journal of the Whills 7:477 appears as an epigraph). And they've made it into the films with Rogue One, so...

Maybe it's the right time, right place, for the Whills to get their cinematic due?

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 24th, 2017, 11:35 am
by thepepgal
The OS released some pics from the Vanity Fair photo shoot from the film

http://www.starwars.com/news/vanity-fai ... cial-issue

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 24th, 2017, 5:11 pm
by Siamese Sith
So Benicio Del Torro's character's name is.....DJ
coughdarkjedicough...
And Lara Dern's character, Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo, looks like she'd fit well in GotG....

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Posted: May 28th, 2017, 10:04 am
by Javen
The dark jedi concept is silly. No thanks.