Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
DblDwn
Posts: 8
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 5:33 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by DblDwn » April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am

Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 70
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » April 15th, 2017, 1:01 am

RedMirax wrote:
April 14th, 2017, 8:55 pm
My husband thinks it's Kylo saying the Jedi must end. I thought it was Luke.
It sounds as if it's both! The dialogue seems to have been spliced together.

User avatar
Blizzard
Posts: 39
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 2:35 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Blizzard » April 15th, 2017, 4:40 am

RedMirax wrote:
April 14th, 2017, 8:55 pm
My husband thinks it's Kylo saying the Jedi must end. I thought it was Luke.
A friend on FB tried to tell me it wasn't Luke, too. But his mouth moves to the words.
Keeping kittens warm since 1998.

User avatar
Blizzard
Posts: 39
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 2:35 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Blizzard » April 15th, 2017, 4:44 am

They analyze the whole trailer in this video. Verrrrry interesting. My favorite part is that it really does look like Yoda is helping train Rey.
https://youtu.be/7ii2NBGOX58
Keeping kittens warm since 1998.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 70
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » April 15th, 2017, 7:53 am

DblDwn wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am
Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.
Yes, it appears to be the same (or similar) hangar.

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 55
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal » April 15th, 2017, 10:03 am

I think that by the end of Ep 9 that the Jedi will evolve into something else. The Jedi code will be perceived in holding back their development. This means more like the EU so attachment is allowed, embracing their emotions, etc.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 70
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » April 15th, 2017, 10:29 am

thepepgal wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 10:03 am
I think that by the end of Ep 9 that the Jedi will evolve into something else. The Jedi code will be perceived in holding back their development. This means more like the EU so attachment is allowed, embracing their emotions, etc.
I just hope they won't mess too much with Lucas's mythology...

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 55
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal » April 15th, 2017, 10:59 am

Master Magnus wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 10:29 am
I just hope they won't mess too much with Lucas's mythology...
They rejected GL ideas for the new trilogy and they have begun to bring in characters from the EU. It's like when Gene Roddenberry died, Paramount felt they had the right to leave Gene's vision behind. When George accepted $4bil for LFL, Disney now believe they have the right to develop the SW universe into what will make it the most money including disregarding the mythology.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

User avatar
RedMirax
Posts: 16
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 5:29 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by RedMirax » April 15th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Blizzard wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 4:40 am
RedMirax wrote:
April 14th, 2017, 8:55 pm
My husband thinks it's Kylo saying the Jedi must end. I thought it was Luke.
A friend on FB tried to tell me it wasn't Luke, too. But his mouth moves to the words.
That's what I think as well. He thinks they just use a shot of him with Kylo saying the words.
Laugh it up fuzzball!

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 70
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » April 15th, 2017, 1:24 pm

thepepgal wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 10:59 am
Master Magnus wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 10:29 am
I just hope they won't mess too much with Lucas's mythology...
They rejected GL ideas for the new trilogy and they have begun to bring in characters from the EU. It's like when Gene Roddenberry died, Paramount felt they had the right to leave Gene's vision behind. When George accepted $4bil for LFL, Disney now believe they have the right to develop the SW universe into what will make it the most money including disregarding the mythology.
If so, then it's something I don't like.

Vibroblade
Posts: 5
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 7:29 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Vibroblade » April 15th, 2017, 11:09 pm

I suspect that the basic evolution of the Force has George's approval.

They may have re-written his story outline but that doesn't mean they diregarded everything. The story has had a basic outline for over 40 years. I doubt Kathleen Kennedy is so foolish as to toss ALL of George's ideas out.

In essence, I think story elements will be/have been altered, but the underlying foundation will remain.

It's also worth mentioning that the EU was sanctioned by George. I'm surprised so many believe that those elements in the EU being mentioned did not have George's approval. Also, Qui-Gon was definitely a Lucas creation and he clearly thought the Jedi code was wrong. Finally, Yoda seemed to have many doubt in ROTS.

No, I still have faith that we are getting a version of George's vision. Maybe not HIS version but A version.

User avatar
Javen
Posts: 29
Joined: March 25th, 2017, 11:06 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Javen » April 16th, 2017, 7:21 am

Even if they rejected GL's ideas they had 4.05 billion reasons they could and can, but they only altered it some.

And the mythology isn't being messed with it seems they're going back to a beginning with the journal of the whills. Yoda, Obi Wan and the council didn't have it right so to speak. They became arrogant and lost their way. Luke is finding the real balance

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 55
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal » April 16th, 2017, 11:02 am

Vibroblade even GL states he sanctioned people playing in his universe but it was never his vision for his characters. Disney are pulling the popular portions of the EU to woo fans.

Javen in a way you are right. It will also comfort you Mags in that Paramount learnt that fans will leave if you stray too far from the mythology.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

Vibroblade
Posts: 5
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 7:29 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Vibroblade » April 16th, 2017, 2:49 pm

thepepgal wrote:
April 16th, 2017, 11:02 am
Vibroblade even GL states he sanctioned people playing in his universe but it was never his vision for his characters. Disney are pulling the popular portions of the EU to woo fans.

Javen in a way you are right. It will also comfort you Mags in that Paramount learnt that fans will leave if you stray too far from the mythology.

Oh, I don't doubt that the character arcs are being messed with. Of that I'm sure.

I'm simply referring to the belief that the core plot essentials such as the origin/basis of the Force and the basic arc of the Skywalkers is being changed drastically. I bet it isn't.

User avatar
Cassus Fett
Posts: 5
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Cassus Fett » May 2nd, 2017, 4:08 pm

Master Magnus wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 7:53 am
DblDwn wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am
Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.
Yes, it appears to be the same (or similar) hangar.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The scene with the "skimmers" heading towards the AT-AT's was another one I thought ESB without the snow. I really do hope they don't do an almost copy of it

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 55
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » May 2nd, 2017, 9:08 pm

Cassus Fett wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 4:08 pm
Master Magnus wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 7:53 am
DblDwn wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am
Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.
Yes, it appears to be the same (or similar) hangar.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The scene with the "skimmers" heading towards the AT-AT's was another one I thought ESB without the snow. I really do hope they don't do an almost copy of it
First thing I thought of was pod racing on Boonta Eve....

User avatar
Lord Tesla
Posts: 136
Joined: March 25th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Lord Tesla » May 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm

I was just looking at the trailer again. I don't think anyone's mentioned the books in this thread. If so, and this has already been addressed, well: Never mind. If not, then...

Might those books be the Journal of the Whills?
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 70
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » May 9th, 2017, 6:12 am

Lord Tesla wrote:
May 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm
I was just looking at the trailer again. I don't think anyone's mentioned the books in this thread. If so, and this has already been addressed, well: Never mind. If not, then...

Might those books be the Journal of the Whills?
Yes, that is likely (at least some other Jedi literature lost to time).

User avatar
Lord Tesla
Posts: 136
Joined: March 25th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Lord Tesla » May 9th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Master Magnus wrote:
May 9th, 2017, 6:12 am
Lord Tesla wrote:
May 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm
I was just looking at the trailer again. I don't think anyone's mentioned the books in this thread. If so, and this has already been addressed, well: Never mind. If not, then...

Might those books be the Journal of the Whills?
Yes, that is likely (at least some other Jedi literature lost to time).
Indeed, but that's rather a large field, no doubt. Ye gads, that could include Obi-Wan Kenobi's recipe for blue milkshakes!


But the thing about the Whills is, they predate the original film. I.e, they have been part of the earliest phase of Lucas's work on Star Wars. The Journal of the Whills was even quoted in the Prologue to Alan Dean Foster's 1976 novelization (ugly word) of A New Hope and in his (ugh) novelization of The Force Awakens (a verse identified as Journal of the Whills 7:477 appears as an epigraph). And they've made it into the films with Rogue One, so...

Maybe it's the right time, right place, for the Whills to get their cinematic due?
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 55
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal » May 24th, 2017, 11:35 am

The OS released some pics from the Vanity Fair photo shoot from the film

http://www.starwars.com/news/vanity-fai ... cial-issue
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 55
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » May 24th, 2017, 5:11 pm

So Benicio Del Torro's character's name is.....DJ
coughdarkjedicough...
And Lara Dern's character, Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo, looks like she'd fit well in GotG....

User avatar
Javen
Posts: 29
Joined: March 25th, 2017, 11:06 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Javen » May 28th, 2017, 10:04 am

The dark jedi concept is silly. No thanks.

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 55
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » May 28th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Javen wrote:
May 28th, 2017, 10:04 am
The dark jedi concept is silly. No thanks.
I agree just dropping this character in and saying he's a "dark Jedi" would confuse the casual viewer, but if it does turn out that he's Ezra....which isn't ruled out yet, that would be a great "bridge" from pre OT to ST.
Pun intended.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 70
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » May 29th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Well, the OT sure worked like this, but the ST isn't the OT and I must say I found this a bit weird: Rian Johnson on Twitter

So there was nothing from Jar Jar or Kasdan to guide the story? Did they also lack a sense of direction? (Well, I've not hidden the fact that I'm not a fan of TFA and I wouldn't be surprised.)

User avatar
thepepgal
Posts: 55
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal » May 30th, 2017, 10:14 am

Mags, I wonder if it is an alternative fact. They had to know who Rey & Finn's parents are. Why Luke went to the first Jedi temple?

Alternatively they fact they basically rehashed ANH and called it TFA would show no vision.

Did Rian flick through GL's vision for the ST for insight for Ep 8?
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 70
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Magnus » May 30th, 2017, 12:17 pm

thepepgal wrote:
May 30th, 2017, 10:14 am
Mags, I wonder if it is an alternative fact. They had to know who Rey & Finn's parents are. Why Luke went to the first Jedi temple?

Alternatively they fact they basically rehashed ANH and called it TFA would show no vision.

Did Rian flick through GL's vision for the ST for insight for Ep 8?
Yes, I'm sure they must've known Rey's parentage (I guess Finn's is inconsequential for the movies) etc. Rian has had free reins, so it's impossible to say. Too bad the Making of TFA was cancelled.

User avatar
Javen
Posts: 29
Joined: March 25th, 2017, 11:06 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Javen » May 30th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Explain to me what's the difference between any other trilogy? Or any other movie for that matter. Not every movie gets a full arc from beginning to finish and it changes as it goes. GL did not have the story written out from ANH to ROTJ. Oh, sure he had lots of things he wrote but it wasn't until several drafts some things came about. Because he did not know when he wrote ANH Luke and Leia was siblings and many other things. Or the PT either except for knowing he would turn. It is absolutely no different. So the backlash is pretty hypocritical.

It amazes me how the internet reacts. If it's similar to the OT it gets slammed. They say they are creating new stories and it's"omg they're making it up as they go along." Fickle as hell people are.

I gotta say the EU had some fans spoiled rotten and most of it was silly.

User avatar
Siamese Sith
Posts: 55
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 8:21 am

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Siamese Sith » June 2nd, 2017, 7:52 am

So we are made to believe that the Lucas Film Story Group doesn't have a master plan for not only the ST but the animated shows, comics, novels and every other form of media. I call Bravo Sierra. I see how the threads of connectivity are being inter woven between the PT / TCW/ SWR/ Rogue One/OT....so this ST Lucasfilm is just wingin' it? Okaaaay .

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest