Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
thepepgal

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal »

I now have my ticket for the movie. The count down to 14th Dec (Aussie time) is on: 62 days :w00t: :bb8: :r2: :rebel:
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Javen

Post by Javen »

Siamese Sith wrote: July 6th, 2017, 11:07 am
Master Magnus wrote: July 6th, 2017, 1:42 am
Siamese Sith wrote: July 4th, 2017, 5:00 pm So the "who is Snoke?" Subject is making it's rounds around the interwebs again, and this guy Mike Zeroh is claiming the website comic book.com suggests.....based on a Lego figure that Snoke might be blind and if he is Snoke could be.................Kanaan Jarrus
https://youtu.be/mGrhzr2AS7w

And then there's the quote from FPJr regarding Kanan's enhanced abilities while under Bendu's tutalge...
http://comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2017/ ... s-in-the-/
Zeroh isn't a trustworthy source.
I kinda got the impression that he just puts up videos about whatever hits the web regardless of validity and plausibility hoping to get a bulls eye.
I also watch Collider's Jedi Counsel on Thursdays, Dash Star, Stupendous Wave and those two brothers at Star Wars HQ.
What are your feelings on these guys?
Mike Zeroh is as dumb as a box of rocks. He just steals other's speculations is all he does.
Javen

Post by Javen »

As for the trailer it is the most clever edited and misdirected ladened trailer I've ever seen in my life. Rian is just messing with our heads. Back a few months ago or so, Adam Driver stated he'd like for us not to even get a trailer. I think there are such secrets in this movie it won't get spoiled 'til opening night.

Kylo is for sure going to change sides and go good. Rey, not sure. I doubt she goes dark side. Luke has probably experienced raw power that he's scared of and it just isn't Rey, Kylo or Snoke. Palpatine, yes. Vader, yes, but I'd bet he has learned some things in his quest and alone time. He's not grumpy Luke. He's lost Luke and when he comes back as Snoke stated then the new jedi will rise....including Kylo. Cuse it's gonna take some raw power to defeat Snoke
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Snoke is the gateway to the Old Republic....
Rey is the gateway to keep the Saga films going....
The Force is for all time...for all generations
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Javen wrote: October 12th, 2017, 5:24 pmKylo is for sure going to change sides and go good. Rey, not sure. I doubt she goes dark side.
One reason I think Rey will go dark is that this essentially is the TESB of the sequel trilogy and where things will look bleak at the end. If she indeed turns, then perhaps Rey is saved in IX (possibly by Finn). We do know that she somehow ends up Snoke. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out. :)
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

I’d be surprised if this trilogy remains so black and white, Kylo is bad , Rey is good.
I think it’s clear Kylo is struggling with his life choices at this point.
Now if Luke refuses to train Rey that will be the second time she’s been abandoned in her life....I think that will leave scars no one can see.
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Trying to think outside the box here. Luke is going to refuse to finish training Rey because all he can think about is that eventually it will all go wrong. Rey does her runner to confront Kylo just like Luke did to Vader in ESB. Except this time, Rey starts to fall for Kylo's schtick. Partly because Kylo himself is not convinced what he's doing is totally legit, so it makes the conversation less black and white and its more of a discussion where they each start to see the other's point of view. Luke starts to get pissed, because like Yoda before him, he doesn't think Rey is ready to be successful. So he straps on his lightsaber and head out into the frackas himself for the first time in a long time. He's going straight for Snoke. His plan is to wipeout Snoke then commit hari kari just like Obi Wan did in ANH. Jedi are no more. Kylo and Rey are not strong enough to restart the Jedi or the Sith and the galaxy lives happily ever after by the end of Episode IX.

:w00t:
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: October 14th, 2017, 7:46 am One reason I think Rey will go dark is that this essentially is the TESB of the sequel trilogy and where things will look bleak at the end. If she indeed turns, then perhaps Rey is saved in IX (possibly by Finn). We do know that she somehow ends up Snoke. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out. :)
Darth Bangkok wrote: October 17th, 2017, 3:40 am Trying to think outside the box here. Luke is going to refuse to finish training Rey because all he can think about is that eventually it will all go wrong. Rey does her runner to confront Kylo just like Luke did to Vader in ESB. Except this time, Rey starts to fall for Kylo's schtick. Partly because Kylo himself is not convinced what he's doing is totally legit, so it makes the conversation less black and white and its more of a discussion where they each start to see the other's point of view. Luke starts to get pissed, because like Yoda before him, he doesn't think Rey is ready to be successful. So he straps on his lightsaber and head out into the frackas himself for the first time in a long time. He's going straight for Snoke. His plan is to wipeout Snoke then commit hari kari just like Obi Wan did in ANH. Jedi are no more. Kylo and Rey are not strong enough to restart the Jedi or the Sith and the galaxy lives happily ever after by the end of Episode IX.
With the ESB comparison MM made, I could see Kylo being the one to have his faith shattered at the end, perhaps realizing Snoke is using him and beginning to question his course.

Though, as DB points out, it could be Rey in Luke's position getting Kylo's offer in the Vader position. But, Vader's offer was to join him so they could destroy the Emperor and rule as father and son. Could Kylo make an offer with the goal of them together defeating Snoke, but perhaps not to rule but because Ren is starting to see through what Snoke represents?

Or, could this be the younger generation (Ren, Rey) disenchanted with the old (Snoke, Luke). That might be especially interesting if both Snoke and Luke are representing problematic views.
Javen

Post by Javen »

USA Today's behind the scenes video of TLJ.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/mo ... 106958746/
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Kapit wrote: October 10th, 2017, 8:53 am Tons of fun to unpack here!
Seriously? Or am I losing my sense of sarcasm?
Kapit wrote: October 10th, 2017, 8:53 am
  • I'm stoked for Finn v. Phasma. I hope that fight is given time to play out.
Why? What significance does either of them have? To me, it's like Sy Snootles vs. Salacious Crumb.
  • I hope that little porg in the Falcon lives, and I hope we find out that he's the actual Last Jedi.
What are you smoking, old tires? Or am I missing something again?
  • The trailer provides a nice fake out with Kylo and Leia. Considering that sequence is probably part of the evacuation of D'Qar which (probably) isn't too long after TFA, I don't think he has the willpower to kill both his parents in such a short amount of time.
  • Speaking of fake outs, that Kylo/Rey sequence at the end of the trailer! Seems pretty clear to me that they're two separate scenes but I think there's a real implication that some sort of relationship is established in this movie, sowing the seeds for 9.
I think the whole thing was an exercise in misdirection. Which makes considerably less optimistic than I was before I saw it.
  • I don't know what it is but my God those porgs are adorable.
Okay, you have to be kidding me. Unless they show me that Luke's only entertainment for the last however many years has been plinking Porgs with an old blaster, I can see no reason on earth or elsewhere for these nasty little marketing gimmicks to funk up this film. Waitaminnit...
  • Kylo's betrayal really did a number on Luke. Like, Yoda lost the entire Jedi Order and ended up just kinda grumpy about it but Luke veered straight into paranoid old man territory.
Look. Kylo and Rey have the same power level. Hmm. It's shown up in one descendant of Anakin Skywalker, and now here it is again... Two things. 1) Luke is working on his insanity defense as to why he hasn't been paying child support. 2) He really, really doesn't want to see what that power level can do if Rey goes to the PMS side... And who could blame him?
  • Really excited to see the Force Tree! That was in the comics two years ago and I've been patiently waiting for the payoff :laugh: .
Thank the Maker, I am all but ignorant of the Force Tree at this point. I doubt that shall be the case much longer, however.
  • Not sure why but I have a feeling Kylo ends up killing Snoke by the end of this movie.
I dunno. I still have the feeling Snoke and Luke are in cahoots, in some fashion. I also note that Luke and Kylo sometimes dress alike in this trailer, and it all hearkens back to the awful Dark Empire comics....

My guess is that Kylo's destined to find what lies beyond the dark side, not return to the light side, and that that's something Luke couldn't bring himself to do, and has tried to manipulate Kylo into doing, with results not quite what he anticipated.
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Lord Tesla wrote: October 26th, 2017, 3:42 pm I dunno. I still have the feeling Snoke and Luke are in cahoots, in some fashion. I also note that Luke and Kylo sometimes dress alike in this trailer, and it all hearkens back to the awful Dark Empire comics....

My guess is that Kylo's destined to find what lies beyond the dark side, not return to the light side, and that that's something Luke couldn't bring himself to do, and has tried to manipulate Kylo into doing, with results not quite what he anticipated.
I wish I had something intelligent to add, but I just don't know where this all might be headed.

Luke and Snoke working together, in whatever fashion, still doesn't feel right to me. I could certainly see each individually being something different than just one being Dark Side and the other Light. But whatever their designations or beliefs, I think they're still on different sides.

I don't see Luke as a manipulative type of person so I'd imagine whatever his hopes for Kylo, that he was wearing his hopes on his sleeves and was likely straightforward and earnest in his efforts to be a good teacher.

You mentioned Ren possibly finding "what lies beyond the dark side". Any thoughts on what that might be? Would whatever that is be beyond the Light Side, too?
Javen

Post by Javen »

The new TV spot shows Luke on the Falcon. Go see it on Youtube.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Lord Tesla wrote: October 26th, 2017, 3:42 pm Seriously? Or am I losing my sense of sarcasm?

Why? What significance does either of them have? To me, it's like Sy Snootles vs. Salacious Crumb.

What are you smoking, old tires? Or am I missing something again?

I think the whole thing was an exercise in misdirection. Which makes considerably less optimistic than I was before I saw it.

Okay, you have to be kidding me. Unless they show me that Luke's only entertainment for the last however many years has been plinking Porgs with an old blaster, I can see no reason on earth or elsewhere for these nasty little marketing gimmicks to funk up this film. Waitaminnit...

Look. Kylo and Rey have the same power level. Hmm. It's shown up in one descendant of Anakin Skywalker, and now here it is again... Two things. 1) Luke is working on his insanity defense as to why he hasn't been paying child support. 2) He really, really doesn't want to see what that power level can do if Rey goes to the PMS side... And who could blame him?

Thank the Maker, I am all but ignorant of the Force Tree at this point. I doubt that shall be the case much longer, however.

I dunno. I still have the feeling Snoke and Luke are in cahoots, in some fashion. I also note that Luke and Kylo sometimes dress alike in this trailer, and it all hearkens back to the awful Dark Empire comics....

• I thought it was a fun and interesting trailer. My bar for Star Wars is relatively low, on top of the fact that Rian Johnson is one my favorite writer/directors working now. Unless it's a real crapshow I'm probably going to like this no matter what
  • The significance is that I like both characters. I like Finn's story and I'm excited to see where it goes. Based on what I've read Phasma gets more screen time this movie, and that excites me because she was criminally underused in TFA. So the two of them fighting = exciting for me.
  • I don't smoke, so you're missing something. :laugh:
  • What's wrong with misdirection? It's keeping with the marketing themes from TFA, as well as keeping normal people on their toes. Trailers aren't just for fans.
  • The porgs remind me of my dog and that immediately makes them adorable. The fact that it's been confirmed that the one in the Falcon is Chewie's friend makes it even better. Plus, for a universe with a bunch of non-humans, there are never enough non-humans in these movies.
  • The PMS side? Really?
  • It's a tree that existed in the old Jedi Temple and has some semblance of a connection to the Force. When Palpatine took control, he had the tree hidden away. Luke managed to find what little was left of it after ROTJ and kept part of it for himself (which he clearly cultivated) and gave the other piece to Poe Dameron's parents, which they swore to protect. They settled on Yavin IV and Poe was familiar with it.
  • I don't think they're in cahoots, I just think they want the same thing but for different reasons. My best guess is that Snoke just wants all the Jedi Order eradicated for good while Luke wants the Jedi Order to end because it disrupts the balance. Nobody to patrol or protect or define what the Force means. Just regular old chaos, I think. As for the wardrobe, Luke's outfit seems like natural evolution of his ROTJ outfit - if not the same outfit. I could see Kylo taking that into consideration when coming up with his own closting.
  • I like to believe Kylo is too conflicted about everything to go full dark side. I don't think he's strong enough to kill Leia, or to allow her to be killed, and her death will push him back to the light side. I would even hypothesize that Snoke orders Kylo to kill Leia, Kylo refuses, Snoke does it himself, and Kylo turns on Snoke because of it.
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Kapit wrote: November 3rd, 2017, 1:06 pm

• I like to believe Kylo is too conflicted about everything to go full dark side. I don't think he's strong enough to kill Leia, or to allow her to be killed, and her death will push him back to the light side. I would even hypothesize that Snoke orders Kylo to kill Leia, Kylo refuses, Snoke does it himself, and Kylo turns on Snoke because of it.
I think you may be on to something! That would mirror Anakin's initial steps down the dark side path in AotC very nicely!
Javen

Post by Javen »

Leia doesn't die in VIII though. She had a bigger role in IX and even Rian solidified that she doesn't. Carrie died, but she completed her scenes before she did.

Now, Snoke could attempt to kill Leia and Kylo steps in and stops him.
Javen

Post by Javen »

I dare you to watch TV spot #5 and not have goose bumps. Leia speaks and Poe is one badass mofo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWbRLbZ ... e=youtu.be
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Ok last night Hera pulled a similar move in her X wing on SWR...basically an engine stall neutral drop in space.
All I’m seeing is a lot of people who are FAR more skilled pilots than Luke.
I can see why he’s become a hermit! He’s drowning in self doubt! He couldnt keep an astromech droid from escaping when he was living with his aunt and uncle, he got his ass handed to him on Bespin, he nearly dies of hypothermia on Hoth, he crashes his X Wing on Dagobah,he doesn’t listen to Yoda and runs off to save his friends (yipppeeee),he force chocks Gamorean guards (not the Jedi way), his rescue of Han on Tatooine was rediculously sloppy, he lowers his guard as Darth Sidious approaches even after his father warns him it’s unwise moments before, he’s a hugger and Han is clearly not, he thinks he’s got enough knowledge to train new force sensitive beings and usher in a glorious new Jedi order and fails horribly.
Javen

Post by Javen »

Luke is human, not super human. He fails alot which makes him pretty relatable, imo. Some want Luke to being pulling down star destroyers with the force and whipping up galaxay tornadoes to kill all the boogie men in space. It's like wtf? When did star wars become about being Superman in space? GL said he would pretty much be the Obi Wan in the ST. I haven't seen TLJ yet, but I'm sure we are in for some great surprises. It's not all doom and gloom with Luke. The trailers and spots have given nothing away. I'll bet most of it isn't even in the movie.

As for Poe I mean he starts out this hot shot pilot but Leia is just grooming him to be a leader. She's not impressed with his flying abilities and seat of the pants ways.

Anyway, the point about the trailer is Leia interacting and speaking. I can't wait to see Leia one last time and what she does.

The EU has spoiled people rotten with its ridiculousness.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Javen wrote: November 15th, 2017, 6:36 am Some want Luke to being pulling down star destroyers with the force and whipping up galaxay tornadoes to kill all the boogie men in space. It's like wtf? When did star wars become about being Superman in space?
I think The Force Unleashed went a long way towards to making casual fans believe that stuff is possible. I've had friends ask me why they never do that in the movies and I usually just sigh and say "Because they can't" and hope that's enough for them.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Siamese Sith wrote: November 14th, 2017, 9:13 pm Ok last night Hera pulled a similar move in her X wing on SWR...basically an engine stall neutral drop in space.
All I’m seeing is a lot of people who are FAR more skilled pilots than Luke.
If you want the canon explanation, Luke is acknowledged as an elite - possibly legendary - pilot but hasn't been established as THE SINGLE GREATEST PILOT TO EVER PILOT THINGS like the EU made him out to be.

As for the real world answer, we've only seen Luke flying a couple times - Battle of Yavin, Battle of Hoth/flying the X-Wing around after that, and flying his X-Wing and then the Lambda shuttle. Not a lot of chances to display his prowess within the context of what we've been given.

You can also make a case for special effects not being good enough in the 70s and 80s to portray an "advanced" maneuver like you mentioned.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Not only Tom Hardy, but the princes Harry and William are playing Stormtroopers in The Last Jedi: The Hollywood Reporter
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Javen wrote: November 15th, 2017, 6:36 am Luke is human, not super human. He fails alot which makes him pretty relatable, imo.
Speak for yourself bud lol
Javen wrote: November 15th, 2017, 6:36 am Some want Luke to being pulling down star destroyers with the force and whipping up galaxay tornadoes to kill all the boogie men in space.
I see what you did there.... well according to a legend I read, Luke did that (wink wink nudge nudge)

Javen wrote: November 15th, 2017, 6:36 am As for Poe I mean he starts out this hot shot pilot but Leia is just grooming him to be a leader. She's not impressed with his flying abilities and seat of the pants ways.
Or maybe Leia see’s something in Poe that reminds her of Han in their youth.
Javen wrote: November 15th, 2017, 6:36 amAnyway, the point about the trailer is Leia interacting and speaking. I can't wait to see Leia one last time and what she does.
All I’m gonna say is SkySolo isn’t killing Leia! No way!
Javen wrote: November 15th, 2017, 6:36 amThe EU has spoiled people rotten with its ridiculousness.
I can only speak on the little EU I read back in the day...Timothy Zahn Trilogy and a few others....
toVor

Post by toVor »

Has anybody noticed this yet? Those ships flying over the surface of that redplanet are just B-Wing remakes. Still nothing new as far as ship and fighter designs from the sequels, I'm afraid. Oh, I'll still be there on opening day expecting to love the movie, but this was why TFA underwhelmed me with the locations and fighter designs.

https://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/htsusa ... hyWw%3D%3D
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
Javen

Post by Javen »

Siamese Sith wrote: November 16th, 2017, 2:20 pm
I see what you did there.... well according to a legend I read, Luke did that (wink wink nudge nudge)
I know what you're talking about but in reality that may or may not have happened. Just from a...certain point of view through someone else's eyes.

Or maybe Leia see’s something in Poe that reminds her of Han in their youth.
Possibly.

All I’m gonna say is SkySolo isn’t killing Leia! No way!
I don't believe so either. I don't even believe she dies at all.

I can only speak on the little EU I read back in the day...Timothy Zahn Trilogy and a few others....
Well I read that too and liked it. I tried a some other books along the way and just couldn't get into them. But I did read Bloodline and the Aftermath books.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

The Visual Dictionary has leaked:

https://imgur.com/a/EC0jP
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Looks like the first showing here in Beirut is 7:45 pm on the 13th, so 12:45pm eastern time in the US. Woohoo!!! 5 days to go!!!

But probably will wait until the next day. Only VIP tickets available for the two showing that day, and I am not interested in being a VIP
Talcy

Post by Talcy »

Kapit wrote: December 7th, 2017, 8:31 am The Visual Dictionary has leaked:

https://imgur.com/a/EC0jP
Yup. I gave in. There are spoilers but only for certain character backgrounds and for the opening sections of the movie, from what I gather.
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Mark Hamill was on Stephen Colbert the other night and they didn't talk too much about plot of the film except to say that "everything changes".

There was a cute skit too about some lost scenes from the Mos Eisley Cantina
toVor

Post by toVor »

These Twitter reviews for The Last Jedi, all short and sweet and completely devoid of spoilers, read as phenomenal. Did I post earlier in this thread, much earlier, that I was devoid of excitement and that nothing I had seen had so far impressed me in the lead-up to the film?

Never mind all of that. I am now officially and entirely excited and I can't wait to see this film!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-impre ... 1821163099

Germain Lussier

@GermainLussier
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is everything. Intense, funny, emotional, exciting. It’s jam-packed with absolutely jaw dropping moments and I loved it so, so much. I’m still shaking.
11:47 PM - Dec 9, 2017
133 133 Replies 2,381 2,381 Retweets 6,809 6,809 likes
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan