Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
Master Shrive

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Shrive » November 14th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Siamese Sith wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 5:57 pm
If you’ve watched Rebels you know Grand Admiral Thrawn is Cannon AND he’s more likely alive than Palpatine should be. My question is simple, would you rather have Palpatine as the puppet-master of the ST or Thrawn? I personally think using Thrawn would be a much better choice than Palpatine. It preserves Anakin’s legacy and all fans would know who he was and the buzz would spark the interest of casuals!
I can't help but wonder if the current ST went a little bit like the early days of the old Expanded Universe - bringing back Palpatine in some shape or form because they couldn't think of anything else.

And then finally they came up Thrawn and produced one of the best sets of novels the EU ever saw, as well as one of the most in-depth characters.

So the movies are just throwing back to all the old characters; but the cartoons are able to take their time and flesh out new (or renewed) ones.

Just a thought.

Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith » November 20th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Master Magnus wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 2:53 pm
thepepgal wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 5:01 pm
I've seen the trailer. It didn't didn't expand too much on what we already seen. Already know we were going to Endor.
Except it isn't Endor. Well, it's one of Endor's moons (I hope so at least), but it's not the jungle moon from ROTJ. The Official Site has revealed in a news item on the updated Star Tours ride that the wreckage of the second Death Star seen in the final trailer is located on the ocean moon of Kef Bir: StarWars.com

The new Star Wars monopoly game has revealed that the jungle planet seen in the trailer is called Ajan Kloss and is the location of the new Resistance base.
I wonder if we’ll get any explanation how the 12 remaining resistance members got off krayt and how they managed to build a base on Ajax Floss. I still think ANYONE other than Sheev would’ve been better!
Last night I heard the rumor that the movie is going to say Vader only killed a clone of Palpy......💩
And Leia, Lando, Chewie, R2 and 3PO will die together when who ever the bad guys are blow up the Falcon with all of them on it!!!

thepepgal

Post by thepepgal » November 20th, 2019, 3:41 pm

The resistance was shown leaving Crait using the Falcon and it did land without any challenge. We all know well the Falcon has avoided capture over the years. While there is no Han on board I'm sure between Chewie, Poe and Rey one of them would have had the skills to fly them out.

Since the film is set around 5 years in the future that recruiting Lando and others has brought more followers in to build the new base.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus » November 21st, 2019, 1:13 pm

thepepgal wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 3:41 pm
The resistance was shown leaving Crait using the Falcon and it did land without any challenge. We all know well the Falcon has avoided capture over the years. While there is no Han on board I'm sure between Chewie, Poe and Rey one of them would have had the skills to fly them out.

Since the film is set around 5 years in the future that recruiting Lando and others has brought more followers in to build the new base.
Nope, TROS is set one year after TLJ.

And Johnson was even worse at scale than Lucas (at least Lucas could show scale).
Siamese Sith wrote:Last night I heard the rumor that the movie is going to say Vader only killed a clone of Palpy......💩
And Leia, Lando, Chewie, R2 and 3PO will die together when who ever the bad guys are blow up the Falcon with all of them on it!!!
You can throw those rumors in the bin.

Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus » November 23rd, 2019, 2:36 am

So, it seems Kennedy wasn't telling the whole truth. Bringing the Emperor back for IX wasn't always the plan (as Kennedy has stated) and was something Colin Trevorrow "never considered" but was a late addition made by J. J. Abrams.

There are a whole bunch of rumors going around and depending on how everything plays out...

Empire Online

thepepgal

Post by thepepgal » November 23rd, 2019, 4:18 pm

Did Palpatine have to come back so they prove how Skywalker will rise from the death? Maybe Luke was never dead as no mechanical hand was left. If they can bring back Maul and Sidious, then it is time they balanced the Force and brought back one from the Light side.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.

borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix » November 26th, 2019, 9:58 am

Master Shrive wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 7:44 pm
So how have Marvel/Disney managed to get everything right with their huge number of movies; but Disney could not get their ducks in a row for Star Wars? What was missing from this picture? Did they have the wrong people in the wrong positions?
It would seem so, MS, yeah...that they did have the wrong people in the wrong position. They were fixed on 2015 as the release year for TFA, so much so that when writer Michael Arndt well into the development period (like a year maybe even closer to 2 years in) wasn't on pace to finish, they just chucked him and plugged in Abrams/Kasdan with no adjustment in the release date. So it was literally an extreme rush job from a writing standpoint. And with that being the first in a new trilogy, what a disastrous decision that is. It completely prevents the development of the strong foundation needed to support a well thought out trilogy.

You can see the mess with this new episode, Abrams feeling he has to bring back Palpatine because there's no other big bad...since Rian Johnson chucked Snoke in the prior movie. So with not even a hint that Palpatine would be back, he's going to now be brought back just to defeat him again in the very same movie. And this was all *already* accomplished way back in ROTJ, the true conclusion to the Skywalker Saga. That Abrams and company now have to, late in the game, reframe this new trilogy as that conclusion...redundancy and of such a poor quality...oh wow, does it highlight the sheer lack of care and proper development.

Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus » November 27th, 2019, 2:04 pm

borgmatrix wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 9:58 am
Master Shrive wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 7:44 pm
So how have Marvel/Disney managed to get everything right with their huge number of movies; but Disney could not get their ducks in a row for Star Wars? What was missing from this picture? Did they have the wrong people in the wrong positions?
It would seem so, MS, yeah...that they did have the wrong people in the wrong position. They were fixed on 2015 as the release year for TFA, so much so that when writer Michael Arndt well into the development period (like a year maybe even closer to 2 years in) wasn't on pace to finish, they just chucked him and plugged in Abrams/Kasdan with no adjustment in the release date. So it was literally an extreme rush job from a writing standpoint. And with that being the first in a new trilogy, what a disastrous decision that is. It completely prevents the development of the strong foundation needed to support a well thought out trilogy.

You can see the mess with this new episode, Abrams feeling he has to bring back Palpatine because there's no other big bad...since Rian Johnson chucked Snoke in the prior movie. So with not even a hint that Palpatine would be back, he's going to now be brought back just to defeat him again in the very same movie. And this was all *already* accomplished way back in ROTJ, the true conclusion to the Skywalker Saga. That Abrams and company now have to, late in the game, reframe this new trilogy as that conclusion...redundancy and of such a poor quality...oh wow, does it highlight the sheer lack of care and proper development.
Great points! 😀

As for Kylo, my distinct impression of what Ruin... sorry, Rian Johnson has said is that he intended Kylo to be standing on his own two feet after he killed Snoke. If the leaks are true, we'll again see Kylo in the same subservient role, but now to Palpatine.

And Rey isn't a nobody, she's the granddaughter of someone that came right out of the blue.

*Sigh*