Rian Johnson will create a new Star Wars Trilogy

Discuss the stand-alone trilogy here.
Javen

Rian Johnson will create a new Star Wars Trilogy

Post by Javen »

Wasn't sure where to put this so put it here.

For director Rian Johnson, Star Wars: The Last Jedi was just the beginning of his journey in a galaxy far, far away.

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

Can read the rest here

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johns ... rs-trilogy
Darth Bangkok

Re: Rian Johnson will create a new Star Wars Trilogy

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Heard this yesterday too. This is scary. Apparently will be with all new characters and in a "different" part of the galaxy.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

I also saw this news yesterday! Very excited about this news.
I won’t lie I was saddened to hear Rian wasn’t directing IX because of all the positivity coming from Lucasfilm during and after wrapping the production of TLJ.
Now we don’t know how TLJ will actually be for a little over a month (that’s crazy) but if Lucasfilm trusts him with an entire trilogy then I think we can walk into the theaters this December with little trepidation it will not be great.
Ok now my guess is we’re going to see The Old Republic and Snoke will be in it! If the rumors are true about Snoke then what I said about Snoke being the gateway to the Old Republic is right! Also after this trilogy Lucasfilm could return to do a follow up trilogy after Episode IX with Rey and Kylo...
Oh and when are we gonna hear about the Kenobi stand alone film?! Ewan Macgreggor is ready to go!
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Rian Johnson + More Star Wars = Sign me up.

I've been a fan of the dude for years and I'm excited that they're giving him the keys to the kingdom to establish an entirely new part of the universe.
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.
So based on this quote I think it’s safe to say an Old Republic trilogy still fits with in the parameters of the quote.
Javen

Post by Javen »

Siamese Sith wrote: November 10th, 2017, 5:04 pm
As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.
So based on this quote I think it’s safe to say an Old Republic trilogy still fits with in the parameters of the quote.
Doubt it because Disney says it's a part of Star Wars that has NEVER been explored. And Using the word 'lore' so that includes canon and legends. Brand new basically.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Moved the thread to the new Stand-Alone Trilogy forum! :)
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

This prospect is even more frightening considering TLJ abomination.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Darth Bangkok wrote: December 23rd, 2017, 3:14 pm This prospect is even more frightening considering TLJ abomination.
He made a mess out of a trilogy that already started off mediocre IMO. Maybe he will do better when he's in full control of the whole trilogy.
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:
bango31

Post by bango31 »

Give me Chiss or give me nothing.
I want to be Grand Admiral Thrawn when I grow up.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

bango31 wrote: January 4th, 2018, 10:53 am Give me Chiss or give me nothing.
Haha. As sick as that would be, I will bet you $10,000 he isn't making the Thrawn Trilogy.

bango31

Post by bango31 »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: January 4th, 2018, 2:51 pmHaha. As sick as that would be, I will bet you $10,000 he isn't making the Thrawn Trilogy.
Oh I agree. I suppose we're probably better off that way. A character like Thrawn belongs in our own individual imaginations; I don't trust anyone except Zahn to write a movie about him.
I want to be Grand Admiral Thrawn when I grow up.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Thrawn has already been changed as he is now in the TV series SW Rebels. Zahn has already wrote one new novel changing Thrawn's past and a second is to be released. The old trilogy is now part of the "Legends" and not canon. The new novels and Thrawn appearance in Rebels are canon.

I won't be surprised if it is either a new take on X-Wing series. The old books were popular but since they are no longer canon LFL can rewrite introducing different characters and set in a different time.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

thepepgal wrote: January 5th, 2018, 2:06 pm I won't be surprised if it is either a new take on X-Wing series. The old books were popular but since they are no longer canon LFL can rewrite introducing different characters and set in a different time.
I'd be for that. The aerial battle scenes were always my favorites in the OT.

Master Kinnon

Post by Master Kinnon »

thepepgal wrote: January 5th, 2018, 2:06 pm Thrawn has already been changed as he is now in the TV series SW Rebels. Zahn has already wrote one new novel changing Thrawn's past and a second is to be released. The old trilogy is now part of the "Legends" and not canon. The new novels and Thrawn appearance in Rebels are canon.

I won't be surprised if it is either a new take on X-Wing series. The old books were popular but since they are no longer canon LFL can rewrite introducing different characters and set in a different time.
An X-Wing series would be immense! I’ve always wanted to see that, and as much as I loved Rogue One, I was gutted when I realised that it wasn’t about Wedge.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Is this still a thing? Is RJ still doing a trilogy?
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: March 6th, 2018, 3:52 pm Is this still a thing? Is RJ still doing a trilogy?
Yes, I haven't heard anything to the contrary. There has been a few articles as late as last month with speculation on what it might contain.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

It would probably be in development stage as there is still 3 films to be released. They are "Solo" then "Episode 9" and finally the last of the standalone films originally announced few years back.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Siamese Sith wrote: November 10th, 2017, 11:23 am I also saw this news yesterday! Very excited about this news.
I won’t lie I was saddened to hear Rian wasn’t directing IX because of all the positivity coming from Lucasfilm during and after wrapping the production of TLJ.
Now we don’t know how TLJ will actually be for a little over a month (that’s crazy) but if Lucasfilm trusts him with an entire trilogy then I think we can walk into the theaters this December with little trepidation it will not be great.
Ok now my guess is we’re going to see The Old Republic and Snoke will be in it! If the rumors are true about Snoke then what I said about Snoke being the gateway to the Old Republic is right! Also after this trilogy Lucasfilm could return to do a follow up trilogy after Episode IX with Rey and Kylo...
Oh and when are we gonna hear about the Kenobi stand alone film?! Ewan Macgreggor is ready to go!
LMAO if I knew then what I know now.....
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 9:11 am
Siamese Sith wrote: November 10th, 2017, 11:23 am I also saw this news yesterday! Very excited about this news.
LMAO if I knew then what I know now.....
:laugh: So true...
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Still no official confirmation, but Johnson's trilogy has been canceled according to rumors earlier this year: Cosmic Book News
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: December 26th, 2018, 1:11 pm Still no official confirmation, but Johnson's trilogy has been canceled according to rumors earlier this year: Cosmic Book News
I'm not sure what to feel about this. I'd have likely checked out his trilogy, as it would have been standalone. I honestly would have preferred if they'd just given him that trilogy to do what he wanted with and not Episode VIII.

That being said, I think I'd also hate the idea of rewarding Episode VIII. It's been suggested Solo didn't do as well because some wanted to send a message about VIII. Well, I'd hate if that was the case, because it sends the wrong message and potentially damages the likelihood of Solo sequels. I'd prefer a statement by staying clear of further Rian Johnson SW movies.

But I like the idea of one guy (in this case Johnson) having a whole trilogy from the get-go. If that approach had been taken with the sequel trilogy, rather than rushing them out with alternating directors each bringing their own "vision", we'd have much better Episodes VII and VIII.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

borgmatrix wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 3:13 pm
Master Magnus wrote: December 26th, 2018, 1:11 pm Still no official confirmation, but Johnson's trilogy has been canceled according to rumors earlier this year: Cosmic Book News
I'm not sure what to feel about this. I'd have likely checked out his trilogy, as it would have been standalone. I honestly would have preferred if they'd just given him that trilogy to do what he wanted with and not Episode VIII.

That being said, I think I'd also hate the idea of rewarding Episode VIII. It's been suggested Solo didn't do as well because some wanted to send a message about VIII. Well, I'd hate if that was the case, because it sends the wrong message and potentially damages the likelihood of Solo sequels. I'd prefer a statement by staying clear of further Rian Johnson SW movies.
I had planned to see Solo in theater and one of the reasons I chose not to go early was because of Episode VIII. As it happened, I didn't had a chance later to see it in theater (and I found it a bit bland and visually unappealing).
borgmatrix wrote:But I like the idea of one guy (in this case Johnson) having a whole trilogy from the get-go. If that approach had been taken with the sequel trilogy, rather than rushing them out with alternating directors each bringing their own "vision", we'd have much better Episodes VII and VIII.
Yes, that had been for the best. Instead of rushing the movies from the get-go, they should've planned it better. Kennedy is not a storyteller and the Saga should've been handled by someone with a creative vision. Jar Jar wrote a draft for VIII which Johnson discarded entirely, the best would've been for someone to have actually filmed that instead, even if I find Abrams lacking in both writing and directing (I think Abrams is derivative and tries too hard to emulate Spielberg and Lucas, but he doesn't have the same visual talent which is needed and which Johnson has next to nothing of).
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 10:55 am I had planned to see Solo in theater and one of the reasons I chose not to go early was because of Episode VIII. As it happened, I didn't had a chance later to see it in theater (and I found it a bit bland and visually unappealing).
I quite liked it. I'm aware of the drama with the production and the movie might have ended somewhat rough around the edges, but I'll admit, given the director switch and behind the scenes creative differences, it came out much smoother than I would have expected. I liked it much, much more than TFA and TLJ. Bland and visually unappealing is nowhere near as egregious a problem than being inconsistent and disrespectful to previous entries and canon.

Regarding the visuals, I was not familiar with the cinematographer and found an article about his approach enlightening (pun recognized and somewhat intentional...lol). I went in with a different mindset after learning about his style.

At the very least, I liked the performances and content, and felt there was more punch/spark in places than in TLJ. Much more. My biggest criticism was that it was too long.
Yes, that had been for the best. Instead of rushing the movies from the get-go, they should've planned it better. Kennedy is not a storyteller and the Saga should've been handled by someone with a creative vision. Jar Jar wrote a draft for VIII which Johnson discarded entirely, the best would've been for someone to have actually filmed that instead, even if I find Abrams lacking in both writing and directing (I think Abrams is derivative and tries too hard to emulate Spielberg and Lucas, but he doesn't have the same visual talent which is needed and which Johnson has next to nothing of).
I really have no problem with JJ's direction. If someone other than him and Kasdan had delivered a good script, I doubt I'd have criticisms the direction. Visually, I found it interesting, even dynamic in places. I liked the physical/visceral feel at times, especially during the opening sequences.

I'm not saying he's perfect, just that I don't much to gripe about there. Its the writing/plotting and creative choices that truly angered me.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Well, that was a bummer: Rian Johnson on Twitter
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Not a peep or sight of Rian at Celebration....hhmmm
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Has anyone seen RJ’s response regarding his SW Trilogy when asked at his Knives out premiere? My take is he hasn’t heard from anyone at Disney/LFL.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

I think it's safe to assume that Johnson's trilogy is dead in the water (and I'm not shedding any tears).
lovelucas

Post by lovelucas »

Before the pandemic - and I got a chance to tell him to brush aside those (rather nasty) complaints and bitching about The Last Jedi. I'm a fan.Image ugh.... I forgot how complicated it is to add an image here. Saw Rian, spoke to him at the Toronto Film Festival for the premiere of Knives
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

"Brush aside"? I for one hope he'll never gets close to the franchise again.