Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Movies, books, television, sports, and games.
User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 205
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Master Magnus » January 7th, 2018, 2:55 am

Today (or rather tomorrow on my part), Star Trek: Discovery continues on Netflix.

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 205
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Master Magnus » January 8th, 2018, 12:32 pm

So, the second half of the first season of Discovery has started and "Despite Yourself" (directed by Jonathan Frakes) was a darn good episode! I should say that quite possibly the best episode yet! There had been some foreshadowing and some things were predictable, but a things didn't quite go as I expected them to. I was quite surprised! (Though I must say one character acted stupid.)

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 205
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Master Magnus » January 16th, 2018, 2:46 pm

The last episode of Discovery, "The Wolf Inside" was a very predictable one and not as good as the previous episode.

User avatar
Zapp Brannigan
Posts: 22
Joined: December 20th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Zapp Brannigan » January 26th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Discovery was just meh before the season break, but I gotta say, this show is officially off the chain now. Been hearing a lot of people hate these new twists, but I'm all on board.
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 205
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Master Magnus » January 27th, 2018, 2:49 am

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 11:01 pm
Discovery was just meh before the season break, but I gotta say, this show is officially off the chain now. Been hearing a lot of people hate these new twists, but I'm all on board.
This isn't a spoiler thread, so I need to be vague, but I can't say that any of the major revelations were surprising. I also think they need to wrap up the current storyline quite soon. And I was a bit annoyed that the latest episode lasted only 34 minutes sans titles.

User avatar
Zapp Brannigan
Posts: 22
Joined: December 20th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Zapp Brannigan » January 27th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Master Magnus wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 2:49 am
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 11:01 pm
Discovery was just meh before the season break, but I gotta say, this show is officially off the chain now. Been hearing a lot of people hate these new twists, but I'm all on board.
This isn't a spoiler thread, so I need to be vague, but I can't say that any of the major revelations were surprising. I also think they need to wrap up the current storyline quite soon. And I was a bit annoyed that the latest episode lasted only 34 minutes sans titles.
Really? You even saw the last one coming? I'm impressed. That part blew me away. Though I gotta admit, I've been watching these from the "high ground", if you catch my drift. So I may have missed some subtle clues.
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 205
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Master Magnus » January 27th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 12:54 pm
Master Magnus wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 2:49 am
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 11:01 pm
Discovery was just meh before the season break, but I gotta say, this show is officially off the chain now. Been hearing a lot of people hate these new twists, but I'm all on board.
This isn't a spoiler thread, so I need to be vague, but I can't say that any of the major revelations were surprising. I also think they need to wrap up the current storyline quite soon. And I was a bit annoyed that the latest episode lasted only 34 minutes sans titles.
Really? You even saw the last one coming? I'm impressed. That part blew me away. Though I gotta admit, I've been watching these from the "high ground", if you catch my drift. So I may have missed some subtle clues.
Yes, as soon as the current story line became evident, the more than subtle hints that had been dropped became clear (especially in the episode before the seadon break).

User avatar
Zapp Brannigan
Posts: 22
Joined: December 20th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Zapp Brannigan » January 27th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Master Magnus wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 2:27 pm
Yes, as soon as the current story line became evident, the more than subtle hints that had been dropped became clear (especially in the episode before the seadon break).
Yeah, that's what I thought was so cool, the fact that a few things that I brushed off as just character development things actually had a significance to the story. Definitely excited for tomorrow's episode. I was a bit annoyed by the shortness of last week's episode as well, so definitely hoping we get a longer one.
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:

User avatar
Master Magnus
Posts: 205
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 3:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Master Magnus » February 14th, 2018, 2:45 pm

And the last episode of the season was a rush job... There were a few episodes I liked, but overall the series is... uneven is a kind word for it. They should have set it at least 50 years after Voyager instead.

User avatar
borgmatrix
Posts: 94
Joined: March 24th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by borgmatrix » February 15th, 2018, 9:01 am

Master Magnus wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 2:45 pm
And the last episode of the season was a rush job... There were a few episodes I liked, but overall the series is... uneven is a kind word for it. They should have set it at least 50 years after Voyager instead.
It's too bad. I've got a couple months of All Access at a reduced rate (signed up mainly to get some of the CBS playoff games), so I'll be diving back in. But based on what you've said, and other reviews, my expectations aren't high. I think I've seen the first 3 episodes. So I'll probably dive back in this weekend starting with episode 4.

Post Reply